Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 11:31:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone have a clue how these were made?

Started by scarab29, September 07, 2011, 09:01:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scarab29

i have a customer wanting me to fab this on his boat. Wonder what they used rot the rails in the pocket. I see they are screwed to the upright braces on the rail. I'm sure the mesh is testaline or pfifiertex mesh. That part is easy but wondering how they framed them out.

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

You talking just the panels right. It looks like a textaline mesh I'd u e a 2" facing like sun fella or stamoind in a
at matching  colo.  Perhaps it sunbrella shade with a sunbrella facing.  Themis bind the edge and straps to
hold
it on   I laslced them on like a t top my last boa had them snapep intothe uptight stantions o. The bridge rail 

scarab29

I've seen them laced on. They had them like that on their last boat. These are actually framed out in a pocket and screwed to the upright part of the rails . Neater looking without all the lacing and no need for hardware on the deck between the uprights of the rails. Just trying to see if anyone does them like this and what they use for the frame material.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

i'm thinking theres a GRP  sail batten in the top and bottom pockets.
to prevent sag between the fixings.

And the screws go right through the middle of the batten.

scarab29

Kinda what I was thinking might work. The batten that is, just hard to tell from a pic since I didn't see them first hand.

Mike8560

September 07, 2011, 12:26:59 pm #5 Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:05:57 pm by Mike8560
I've made them with no batten just a strong  webbing reinforcing the edge and pulled tight doese it but I've seen stainless Inserts  also
like the batten idea I llike that idea. I'd  use thoose fiberglass bows
most dist have bow uder covers such as a truck tonno

Mojo

Quote from: scarab29 on September 07, 2011, 10:06:18 am
I've seen them laced on. They had them like that on their last boat. These are actually framed out in a pocket and screwed to the upright part of the rails . Neater looking without all the lacing and no need for hardware on the deck between the uprights of the rails. Just trying to see if anyone does them like this and what they use for the frame material.

Never made them before but I agree with you. A much neater approach without the lacing. Use Textilene 90 if you get the job. It is a much heavier weight and will hang nicely.

Chris

DBR1957

These are called storm curtains in my area. The can be installed as shown, laced
on or installed with fasteners (not my favorite). The style shown is tougher to get
smooth than lace-on. I've also seen hybrids, laced on with battens.

Made those quite a few times over the years. Usually on older Chris Craft Catalinas.
Typically have 3/4" stainless steel cove molding in the edges or 1/8"x3/4" aluminum
bar. They can be tricky depending on what material you use. The trick is to make
the vertical dimension a little short so you have to pull down to put the screw in
the stanchion. Corners are a pain if the aft handrail angles in at the top.

Put top and bottom rails in hems. Screw on one end of top rail and pull the fabric taught to the other end and screw on. Install remaining screws on top rail.

Next find the screwhole closest to the center of the bottom hem. Manipulate the
fabric until the tension is directly down to that screw and install. Pull to either end
of the bottom and install end screw. Fill in between. You might need an extra hand
on long pieces to put the top rail on.

If you have to put a seam in make sure it's vertical and lines up with a stanchion.
It will be somewhat hidden that way.

Grebo

September 08, 2011, 04:36:57 am #8 Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:42:44 am by Grebo
Not seam any like that here, much neater than lacing.
Might have a go at these.  ;D I would probably use fibreglass battens, not sure how to tackle the rise over the fairleads, would probably have to make the whole length shorter to avoid the shaping.

Suzi

JuneC

I've used 1/4" fiberglass rod to hold up window solar shades but they're very flexible.  I think skinny battens would not have the strength to hold up the mesh between stanchions.  By the time you got fiberglass rigid enough to do that it'd be a pretty big piece.   I'm guessing it's flat aluminum or stainless bar.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

My knee jerk reaction to your question was to use  the mold able plastic substrates used to make orthotics and prosthetics. You can cut it (including the "notch" in the bottom left corner) with a jigsaw, you can mold/fuse it with a good heat gun, and it's impervious to weather. If you have an orthoepedic house/orthotist/etc.. in your area drop by and ask to see these materials.  :-[ All my suppliers and product names are Canadian -- probably wouldn't help you down there, but I can provide if interested.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!