Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:20:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

tight screws

Started by needles eye, September 05, 2011, 08:26:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

needles eye

heya all
a friend bought a sewing machine, chinese walking foot jobby with servo motor and auto trim, backtack etc
but he dropped it on the trailer whilst moving it  :'(
guess air was pretty blue huh
anyway he broke off the tensioner and the take up lever  :o
nonetheless i have similar model for parts being to replace take up lever for him
taken needle bar, presser bar, pawls etc out from donor machine
however cannot loosen the two screws that hold the back cam (with take up lever attached) on the main driveshaft
they are super tight
maybe glued on in the factory or something
about to take to it with a big hammer and impact screwdriver to loosen them
but not wishing to damage anything further
so with your kind indulgence any tips how to get the screws out?  ???
you have to reach through the back access port of machine to get the screwdriver in to the screws recessed in the cam
your help much appreciated!!
the problematical screws are flat headed, two of 'em

sofadoc

I wonder if you could rig some type of "T" handle on the end of your screwdriver for more leverage?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Many time I e cla
ped a pair of vise grips onto a screw driver. For leverage you've got to use extra preasure Dow. To keep the s reedrived in the slot. 

needles eye

September 06, 2011, 05:18:26 am #3 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:24:30 am by needles eye
Thanks guys,
have tried the vice grips on the screwdriver as a T bar trick, good tip, but won't budge them.
They are very tight..
Have to remove take up lever attached to pawl from one machine and stick in other.

here you can see the broken lever..

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m487/needleseye9/?action=view&current=20001026_01.jpg

here is the guts removed from the donor machine and the take up lever is attached to back pawl.
The top left screw is nearly impossible to get out, and, further there are two more screws stuck in the cam, that is, behind being accessable from the hole on the left of the screw..

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m487/needleseye9/?action=view&current=lever2.jpg

Meanwhile everything is stewing in wd40. Sewing mechanics is not all that easy.
Think may have to just belt them with a large eng hammer and impact driver. Could preheat with the upholstery hot air blowgun. What else can i do? Wonder how strong Chinese steel is?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

September 06, 2011, 05:42:26 am #4 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:07:32 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Why are you taking out the needle bar crank if the take up lever is broken?  You should not have to do that to replace a take up lever at all.  

needles eye

September 06, 2011, 07:00:38 am #5 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:09:49 am by needles eye
Thanks for your help mate.

To the fore of 2nd photo you can see a metal tube, press fit presser foot guide. Can't get it out. Hope can squeeze parts through. Otherwise have heat and a press. Behind that tube you can see the pawl that has the take up lever attached, the take up lever on the right hand side. The pawl is attached( a) to the head cam and (b)the big flat screw top left. Well, now, can't see any other way of replacing take up lever.
Hoping once screws are out the pawl will come off (easily)with the take up lever attached to then fit in other machine. Presto. More hard screws to then remove on other machine! Hopefully no bits left over.

What do you suggest? In what way do you normally replace a broken take up lever your side of our world?

Have broken part, it's off snapped at the pawl. .

No room to tig weld. Superglue won't cut it.

Cheers.
:D

ecce signum!, "behold the sign or the proof!"
here's a better shot of broken take up lever...
http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m487/needleseye9/?action=view&current=lever.jpg

CKKC

Have you tried putting the screwdriver in the slot then tapping on the end of the handle to possibly break loose any
lock tite, then turning the screw?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

No other way to fix a broken take up other than what your doing.  It's not a small job at all, and make sure the parts going in are fitted properly.  Just remember than no two machines are the same, and these days, no two parts are the same.  One comming out of one machine may need to be fitted on another.  It's a tall order, even when all the parts are made correctly, and fit.  I doubt that's the case here.

That machine is a bit forign to me, but I think you may have better luck if you can get thet presser bar guide out of the way.  Usually  a set screw holding it in, and it may be tight after than, but you should be able to hammer it out with a brass or aluminum rod, anything softer than the metal in the guide.  This would go a long way to being able to get in there.  As for the getting the old take up lever out, it may have a screw cap, or just come right out, hard to see from the image.

needles eye

Ta. Your feedback much appreciated.
Yep, smacked the crap out of screwdriver in screw slot with my 5 lb hammer whilst trying to turn it...
The screw slot not yet  butchered.
Don't want to bend anything if possible.
He payed 3.5 k for the machine, reduced from 5K. Might have to give up, don't want to become the rescuer that becomes the victim..

It's bloody tight eh.

needles eye

September 06, 2011, 07:26:53 am #9 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:39:18 am by needles eye
Well Gregg you are absolutely right mate, the back bearing holding the head cam is different size on the later machine. Notwithstanding the take up lever pawl arrangement looks the same. Hard to tell without getting it out. Certainly will try and find a soft drift tube to get the post out of the equation.

Its a good case you make mate. "Let justice be done though the heavens may fall".
Gotta heavenly hammer there bud? Anyone else have one handy?

errata
Anyway heading back to the shed now for some more fun,
sincere thanks gents for your hands on help.
Much appreciated.
;D

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Needleeye, your correct, now is a good time to brewer out into chant.  Let me have a crack at it;  "That who drops a sewing machine and snaps the take lever shall be left with a mess on their hands."    Hope that was deep and profound.

kodydog

I once had a nut on a water faucet that was stuck good and tight. I put a little heat on it (blow torch) an it came right off. Of course you don't want to set the sewing machine on fire. All that oil and such.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

needles eye

Good-oh.
Aut insanit homo aut versus facit, "either the man is mad or he is making verses".
Let me know when you get around to  publishing that prose book, Gregg. Cheers.

Thanks kodydog.
I'm gonna torch it.
Quod bonum, felix,faustumque sit, "may this be right, happy and of good omen".

;)

Tejas

You might try an a manual impact screw driver if you can get at the head of the bolt with that tool. You might also try using some PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil several hours before using the tool. Actually, it seems better to tap more lightly many times than a few hard blows.

Amazon.com carries several.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

gene

I would clamp a pair of vise grips onto the sides of those two screws, good and tight. That should work.

If you can't get vise grips onto the sides, side mounted, then clamp them at a perpendicular to the screws, onto the sides of the screws. Use pliers to turn the vise grips.

Make sure you are turning in the correct direction. Lefty loosey righty tighty. I think???

And of course, I would only try this on someone elses' machine.

Good luck,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!