Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 01:22:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Doing an Inside corner

Started by Mike8560, September 05, 2011, 10:11:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

September 05, 2011, 10:11:03 am Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:12:03 am by Mike8560
I foi d it a good read
prety much how I will use and old skin
http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0311_st2_inside_covers.html

needles eye

jojo

Mike,
I'm doing an old Bayliner's side panels; they're really long and then curve a couple of times. I'm sure you've seen these before. Anyway, it's more like an inside curve rather than an inside corner, and I'm having a heck of a time getting the vinyl smooth on this inside curve. Any suggestions? If you don't know what I'm talking about, I can find a picture. Thanks!

Mojo

If I am thinking of what your talking about - Are you cutting out reliefs in the corners ? I use hog ear pliers to cut my reliefs. Makes everything lay down better and makes it easier turning corners.

Chris

jojo

Thanks for responding Chris. Yes, I am cutting reliefs, but it just won't lay perfectly flat on the curve. I know it can be done, because the original was nice and smooth...Im thinking either glue or heat?

Mojo

Heat may have to be applied JoJo........carefully. I know several on here will get rid of wrinkles that way.

Good luck and hope it comes out great for you.

Chris

scottymc

You can just wet the inside of the vinyl before you put on , the put it out in the sun if it is a warm day(or put in front of a heater ). Also if it is not a big job instead of using a hot air gun, use hot water, just put the part you want shrunk under the hot water tap in the laundry, you wont accidentally melt it that way.

206RB

I'll usually lay the scrim on the seat itself, then use spray glue to secure the vinyl to it so it "holds the curve".

Mike8560

Unused to have a great pic to show   Kt was a large curved lounge on a cruisers Inc.  What I do is on the inde curved piece I cut it a tad shorter then the top curved  cut of  it
this streaches it tight and the skinf generwly is pulled over the back of this curved seat back and halfway down the gogbt of the back the skin is  pulled and staed in here sonit generwly pulls out snug and I'll use a little heat and any ripples dissapere

needles eye

cool
hey what's the best way to use the heat gun mate?
d'you pull and stretch the vinyl wearing a glove pulling the vinyl the way you want it to go?
or just let the flow of air take up the slack with some judicious pointing of the hot air flow?
things will fall into place
what can you tell me about that place?
how hot is enough? real hot or mildish heat for long time?

kinda like soldering i guess where practice makes perfect huh

and what about if you use to much heat and stretch or burn the job?

so any way of fixing it then, or it's back to the cutting table?
cerhrs mkie
;D

scottymc

Needles I find the best way is to soak a rag with water and wipe the job with the wet rag and heat it till the water evaporates then wipe it again and keep and keep repeating that, it heats the vinyl but cools the surface, I think it helps if you can dampen the back of the vinyl to shrink the backing, also as I have mentioned hot water works if you can fit it under a tap. I have a lot of experience at this from my beginnings in this trade. took many a stool top into the bathroom in my first year.

Eagles did alright, if the bombers win  tomorrow, you'll be able to see them a the WACA

needles eye

thanks for the great tips Scotty
have a BAK Heisslutt Geblase Typ Rion 1600W heat gun (swiss made), more for plastic welding repairs, will now find some projects on the boat and give it a blast
hey, if you need a place to stay for waca grand finals can put you and the missus up in the man cave
cehers mtae

Mike8560

Scotty I've got to try that with the wet. Rag.
Eedmes I don't wear a glove I want to feel if it's too hot if itburns my hand.
L vinyl is differnt but I find thst if I heat the tight portion around the. Looser wrinkle  first is food then the whole area.  I boe e if it I'd onf. Seam and one side is voodveati g it relaxes it. Bit Nd streaches for the wrinkled. Side.   The. Kf it's a wri e on like a k side curve of a Seat right on the spot   Little at a to e with my hand  As a guage 

scottymc

I use this method on all vinyls especially when I use marine vinyl like seafarer that has no stretch at all, I do moto-cross seat in seafarer and wetting the back of the cover before I put it on, then if it's a nice day I jast leave it out in the sun and bingo nice tight fit. 

jojo

Thanks guys. I ended up gluing the vinyl to the foam at the curve, and didnt need heat. I could've used another set of hands, though, as these pieces are so awkward to handle; about 12 feet long with a couple of 30 degree angles, boards precariously supported by ancient rusty angle brackets (which I had to replace).