Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 11:18:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

tips

Started by needles eye, August 23, 2011, 07:53:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

needles eye

Hiya there
heres a coupla tips from a newbie
maybe you got some too:

when you thread the needle, pinch your fingers real close other side of needle and grab thread as it comes through

when you have to rotate the handwheel, it helps heaps if you depress the foot pedal a bit to unload the clutch

Mojo

If I were you guys and gals I would take Needles tips. Any time him, Scotty or Allan offer tips, take them.

Aussies are known to NOT tip anyone. They despise tipping. :)

Chris

needles eye

Heya mojo, stay cool old bean it's just a different culture down yonder here as ya know.
Whereas in the States some folk definitely have to rely on their tips to augment their wage.
Auctor pretiosa facit, "the giver adds value to the gift".
Anyway, what you got apart from hanging on to the threads when you start to sew?  >:(

Mike8560

August 23, 2011, 10:22:32 am #3 Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:58:46 pm by Mike8560
Wha doese pinching your fingsrs close do? I used to thread the neee like nothing  
Old eye now I take forever. I have found hding a white  caes behind The needle and Infront of the foot bar helps me see just the  needle.  Old eyes ;(

Mojo

My brother in law whenever he comes here handles his own bags so he doesn't have to tip. :) He could not believe that our wait staff only makes $ 2.35 per hour. Once he realized that he started tipping better. :)

I tipped an exceptional waiter that I had in Sydney once and he about flipped. He as probably hoping I would come back the next day. :)

All cultures are different. I about had a fit when I found out I had to pay for each refill of coffee or soda. Same holds true in England. I had to pay for all my refills there. ....lol......

I maybe heading to the Manly area next summer to see my in laws. Cannot wait to get back to Aussie land. Great people and gorgeous scenery.

Chris

christwo

Dont drink and drive.

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 23, 2011, 10:54:42 am

All cultures are different. I about had a fit when I found out I had to pay for each refill of coffee or soda. Same holds true in England. I had to pay for all my refills there. ....lol.....
Chris

up
in new englewnd there was one place bonanza nit really a Buffett but you ot a tray and slad bar and you filled your own glass  so you could get plenty of refills

I'm sure at  I got my codderefreshed at  a diner with breakfast.
But when I got here free refills.       Awsome.  I've got one waitress at dennys that when she sees me just bring 2 diets cokes to me  right off.   I remebr as a kid my dad sayi g don't drink it all before you dinner get to the table at resteraunts. 

SHHR

Tip: Don't eat yellow snow!

scottymc

Quote from: Mojo on August 23, 2011, 09:07:09 am
If I were you guys and gals I would take Needles tips. Any time him, Scotty or Allan offer tips, take them.

Aussies are known to NOT tip anyone. They despise tipping. :)

Chris

Your right Chris, I do despise tipping. When in your land I tip well as I realize the system screws the worker in your land. I despise your system more than tipping , it sucks.

christwo

Yeah, it's funny because I spent a few months backpacking Europe, and until I figured it out everywhere I went I was getting these weird looks for tipping. Ha! What blew me away was in Rome, we went to get some gelato and the price to sit down inside and eat it opposed to getting it to go was double!

sofadoc

It does stick in my craw, that in addition to paying exorbitant prices for restaurant food, we also have to pay the help, too.
You realize that if you tipped your waiters the amount they EXPECT to be tipped, they would make more than you do? Don't get me wrong. If I needed a job tomorrow, I would be proud to wait tables. BUT, it ain't exactly rocket science.
Am I being conceited in thinking that a skilled tradesman should make more than a waiter?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I've never been to Australia but I've seen Papillon with Steve McQueen and Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck so I know all about Australia.

Moils get a lot of tips.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

christwo

No absolutely not, I could not agree more. I mean a tip for exceptionally good service is one thing, but like you said an expected 15% gratuity to do a job they are already paid to do I think is ridiculous. If they have a problem with their pay rates I think it should be brought up with management, or their choice in career. What bugs me is that, tip or no tip, if it isn't what they feel we should tip then we are pricks. What if the food is bad? I wouldn't want to tip for bad food wether or not its the servers problem or not, truth be told. Right hand needs to talk to the left hand every once and again.

scottymc

My wife was a waitress till not long ago,she was paid $25 an hour, a good waiter should get paid a good wage as in Australia it is a trade, you can do an apprenticeship and go to trade school. If the system was to be a fair one in america, then after tipping the waiter you would then proceed to pay the bill "however much you thought the meal was worth". Generally in restaurants in aus. if you give the waiter a tip in appreciation of a really enjoyable meal, it will be shared between all the staff from chef through to dishwasher. The whole tipping thing in the U.S. is demeaning , like they have to put on a performance for you and amuse you to get a good tip, it should be up to the owner to hire good staff and run the place well and if your not happy with the service you tell him and he does something about it.

Hey Needles, BOMBERS ARE IN THE FINALS WOOHOOO 8) 

needles eye

BOMBERS ARE IN THE FINALS YEEHA    :-*

C'mon everybody loosen up and hand us out [for free] all of your hard earned upholstery tips being learnt over many diligent years of blood, sweat and tears!!

Hey anyway here's some slippery new needles seen on Ebay, not sure if they come in larger sizes 'though:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Ceramic-Industrial-Embroidery-Sewing-Machine-Needle-/270804117889?pt=AU_Sewing&hash=item3f0d2ee981

Silcone, anybody?