Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 08:24:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Servo Motor

Started by Allan, August 21, 2011, 03:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have never seen one before like that Allan. But that doesn't mean much as I do not stay on top of things
like I should.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

New style brushless servo motor that a lot of the sub two hundred dollar mfg. are switching to.  I've yet to see one that are imo 'ready' yet.  This could be one, who knows.  Ones I've tested don't have the low end torque most need for your walking feet canvas machines. 

Thanks for posting, glad to see another motor to be on the lookout for to test.

Also keep in mind...this motor being offered in this link is 220v single phase.

Mojo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on August 21, 2011, 06:52:40 am
Also keep in mind...this motor being offered in this link is 220v single phase.

That is because those bloody Aussies still use 220 volt for everything.  ;D
My first visit to the land of Oz was an eye opener for me. I had no idea they had 220 volt outlets, even for standard household lightbulbs. They have no 110 voltage anywhere inside their homes. I am not sure the country even has voltage that low. :)

I am happy with the servo I have. Plenty of torque and power, quiet and dependable. I will let someone else play guinea pig with these motors before I consider one.

As a side note, I would much rather catch 220 volts then 110. I have gotten hit with both numerous times and the 110 grabs and holds you. The 220 knocks you on your azz. :) The very worst jolt I ever took was 24 volts of DC power that came out of a control cabinet. My entire arm and hand was numb for 24 hours.

From an electrical standpoint, 220 is much more efficient and cheaper to send down the lines then 110 for power companies. I assume that 220 is also more efficient in the house as well.

Chris

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 21, 2011, 07:42:18 am
That is because those bloody Aussies still use 220 volt for everything.  ;D
My first visit to the land of Oz was an eye opener for me. I had no idea they had 220 volt outlets, even for standard household lightbulbs.

I am happy with the servo I have.
Chris

co so o could run my welder in the bathroom ;)
funnny on the servo motors I'm perfectly fine with my old fashioned motors
I'd lro ly
think the servos were too slow
as far as quiet somtimes I forget there running so I have a master switch that shuts them and there lights off 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Mike, 

You likely have an old clutch motor; the older the better in most cases.  The old singer motors, alcove, and the old made in Japan consew motors were excellent.  All my dad did for almost a year was rebuild old singer motors, putting in new bearings, having the motors resounded.  Can you imagine trying to make a living like that today?  There new motors are truly disposable goods.  New clutch motors of today are not what they used to be, and can be loud, have less control, and in some cases less torque.  Many are not as reliable, either.

Mike8560

August 21, 2011, 02:14:49 pm #6 Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:19:46 pm by Mike8560
I've got one with my singer for
20 yeads second I got with my juki I've had for ten and a spare singer with clutch so it will probly last me.

Allan

Chris

We have AC 240 volt single phase and 415 volt 3 phase

We do have lower voltages but these are 12 and 24 volt DC  ;D

Allan

Mojo

So then you have no 120 voltage then ?

Are you guys also 60 hertz ? I believe there are a few countries using 50 hertz still.

Chris

Allan

Chris

that's right

no 120v and 60Hz

Allan

fragged8

same in the Uk 240v ac and 415v 3 phase

our 240v is probably safer than your 120v purely
because all the fuses are in the wall plug not in the
appliance, so if theres a problem and the fuse blows
the lead goes dead as well as the appliance

i found out my neighbour has 415v wiring in his house
to run night time storage heaters.

Rich

needles eye

As you may appreciate it is the current flow that kills.

Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) X Current (amps)

P = VI 
(and  V = IR)

A typical half horsepower clutch motor will pull more current being for the same application from a 110V electrical system than, say, a 240V system.

Because electron flow (reverse in direction than conventional current flow) tends to flow on the outer edge of any conductor (skin effect) a thicker wiring gauge is therefore required for the same load application in the 110V system as opposed to the 240V system, moreover any electrical shock hazard is a much greater risk [due to the higher current flow] in the 110V system as opposed to any 220V/ 240V electrical system.

A 12 volt electrical circuit can kill if the current flow is high enough and resistance (eg wet skin) is low.

Satis verborum, enough of words,
watch out for the jippers
and, first turn the power off at the mains if you ever have need to rescue an electrical shock victim.    ;D

Darren Henry

If it's available in your neighbourhood 3 phase power is smoother and provides more torque for larger motors. Not a real issue with sewing machines etc... but your table saw,compressor,etc... will see a big difference.

I've worked on identical finishers (big sanding belt thingy your shoe maker has) one 3 phase and the other single. On the single you could almost stall the motor if the belt was new. The 3 phase just ripped the sole out of your hand.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

used to work at  furniture co.
Wood shopwas full of 3 phase motors Darren