Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 07:36:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What are these Bayliners like ?

Started by fragged8, August 14, 2011, 11:33:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

I'm looking at a boat change as my Quicksilver isn't as great as i'd like
at sea, the hull flats out at the chine and she slams a lot in a swell.

Anyway i've been looking at the Bayliner Trophy as i can almost do a straight
swop with mine.

this one is in the US but there are some for sale over here.
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/new_view.php?place=viewadvert&ref=2733486

regards
Rich

Mike8560

used to have a 1993 2002 trophy. 21'. I liked the boat allot  I  sold it tonmove up in siz the hull ran good but I didn't go out it thebnasty stuff as there is always a better day in fl
the trophys were of better quality. Then the rest of the bayliners so they brought the trophy name as it's owm line to ge away rom the stigma.  As the yacht did later being known as meridian.
Iit looklarger then 21 but I don't see the length listed.  Looks 23 at least in the pic.  I'd buy it for sure if I could   
Thety have lush  kits for the ios to flusb the salt out.  Is this a freshwater boat ?

Allan

Rich

What does your boat look like out of the water?

A deep V is what you want at sea however the drawback is a more rolley boat when at rest and when people move around

Have you thought of trim tabs if you don't have them or a larger outboard

Slamming can also be from incorrect trim attitude when travelling

Allan

fragged8

Hi guys

my forum back up Allan

this is like my boat

it is V in the middle but flats out towards the chines, the flat is probably 10" wide each side.
yes it makes it nice and stable at anchor.

If anyone knows about Bayliners it's going to be you guys :-) thanks for the advise Mike.

Another thing about mine is the pilothouse, it's fantastic in bad weather but when it's hot it can
get really stuffy and i like being in the open air, i guess it's because i spent so many years sailing.

I'm looking at two at the moment, one is a 1998 and had a new 150hp outboard last year
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/Q0FSSTAwMi0yOTN+Q0FSSTAwMg==-Bayliner_Trophy.html

and the other is running
a 200hp optimax outboard. I want to avoid inboards if i can .

Rich

JuneC

Dont' know much about the hull design, but Trophy's do come nicely equipped for the length.   If buying a used model with no warranty, make SURE to have your mechanic do a compression test on the engines.  Bayliners, as a rule, cut corners, but offer a lot of boat for the money.  They're very popular in the US on lakes and rivers and in the ocean as well, but in bad weather, I wouldn't want my life riding on the build quality.   Depends on the kind of boating you do.  If river, lake or fair-weather boating I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Trophy.  Given unlimited funds, buy a Boston Whaler.... or Grady White. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

At last one you Posted looks just like my 93. I like it but the cudd doese take upmroom I just used to store my rods.  I would go far off shore as June pointed out. It you get one hink about replacing  any plastic through hulls with stainless and all hoses on them should have double hoseclamps
I used mine in the harbor and 5 mile or so off shore   
Always felt safe I only go out in good weather 

fragged8

Today I found a 2007 model, a bit more than i wanted to spend
but it's got me thinking :-)

I'd love a Grady White but you just don't see them over here
same with the Boston Whaler, we do have a few small Boston's
dotted around but not many.

I do have a compression tester June so could do that if needed.

Most of my boating is inland and a few times a year I go offshore
10 or 15 miles to do some wreck fishing but wouldn't deliberately
go into rough stuff.

Mike8560

August 15, 2011, 09:56:40 am #7 Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:55:52 am by Mike8560
Inthink you'd like it rich the cabin is roomy for the kids with a head
youncan find mire info here
http://baylinerownersclub.org/

fragged8

I think this one i found is near you Mike, only 20 hours on it. 
what ya doing tomorrow hhehehe.

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/175610/

Mike8560

I wonder where the boat is rich I could go look at it but the dalers like to take the owner out of it.
They tried to seel my boat and almost lost  a deal to a buyer in Texas I had to intervene cause they don't take dredit and wanted a deposite  before a surveror could look at it    I would have lost the sale.  I still had to pay them a commision. So we don't get along now
if your serious I would suggest a surveyor although this company won't let you have o e look at it ( it cots a few hundred ) they won't let him look at it till you send a few thousand deposite and dredit card dosent work for them

fragged8

it's a shame so many people take their pound of flesh.

$15k US is about £9k GBP and figure in about £4k for transport and
tax I could afford it but then dealers etc want another 10% and another 10%
it becomes just too expensive.

Looks like a really good deal for someone.

Rich

Mike8560

I wish I could make money for doing nothing

Hell Bat

Having owned and repared many boats in the passed;
Used boats are not to be got with out looking at it your self,how good they are when used has more to do with how the other owner was at upkeep then who made the boat to start with=brand name is of little value if poor upkeep was done,photo can look great but boat be crap.
2cents
Dana

Mike8560

August 16, 2011, 11:38:30 am #13 Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:40:25 am by Mike8560
Quote from: Hell Bat on August 16, 2011, 10:45:16 am
photo can look great but boat be crap.
2cents
Dana

that's cor sure.  LSt week I saw a cool looking dragbost for cheap money online so I drove to st Pete   Abiut 1 1\2 hr drive to see it was crap Of course to somone elso or when I was young I might h e liked it

fragged8

i put an offer in on the 2007 trophy today today at £16k

they came back with 16.5 and i said ok but they'll have to deliver it for
that price.

Just have to wait and see.

If they don't accept that there are more around.