Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 07:26:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dang It !!!!

Started by Mojo, August 10, 2011, 07:04:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I hate spending money...........

But I broke down and just bought a new Engle Hot Knife. Rochford has an entire package ( knife, blade and foot ) for $ 202 but their shipping prices are outrageous ( as always ). I have had problems with Rochford in the past and didn't want to buy from them. So I contacted Sailrite, told them about the package and they price matched and did 2nd day air so I am happy. But it kills me to spend money.  ;D

I am doing so much awning work now that I really need this. I am hoping it will speed up my cutting times versus the cheap hot knife that I got from Harbor Freight. It worked but took a lot of prep time to get things ready for a perfectly straight cut and it also had no foot.

While on the subject of spending money ( did I say I hate spending money ) I just found myself in the position of needing a second machine on wheels that my wife can sew on and help me with. Bob Kovar called me and told me about 5 Consew 206RB-5's for sale near me. All came complete with tables, motor and were about a year or so old. $ 650. But the time I called the guy had sold all of them to one person in a lot for $ 2,500. What a huge loss on my part. I imagine a dealer picked them all up.

He does have a Juki 563 ( about 15 years old ) that is complete with table and motor and runs good. Price is
$ 400 so I may get up there, look it over, sew with it and if I like it buy it. The market in my area is flooded with used machines. Unfortunately Bob doesn't have any used machines at this time but is helping me with getting a good used one.

This is going to be an expensive week. :)

BTW, I didn't know it but Sailrite will price match on some items and I took a chance by calling them. They didn't carry the Engle package and sold everything separately ( at a much higher price ). I really appreciated them doing a package deal for me. Kudo's to them for that.

Back to sewing. I am swamped.

Chris

regalman190

Hey Chris. You're gonna love the hot knife. I can't do without it now. I did find the foot created a few more problems though....like bunching up of the fabric.

I've bought from Sailrite for a long time. Good people, but I did not know they would price match.

My only issue with them is they can take up to three days to ship out an order. That forces you into a two day expedite. Not like Manart or Trivantage. They ship same day.
Regal Canvas

DBR1957

If you cover your cutting table with luan you don't need the foot. We used to
have the foot but got tired of the excess building up in it. Covered the table
with luan and sealed with a clear coat. Now I just cut with the blade only. Cleaner
cuts and no messing with the build up on the foot.

Mojo

Thanks for that tip. I am hoping this thing will make cutting easier. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Ya dbr I could it slow with the foot my table is plywood with lamonate.  Formica ?
I just cut with the blade. Although I font even that slow so I generwly just use me shears and bunt thebraw edged inside on a cover ect  faster then the hotknife
I mostly use the hotknife for cutting melting zippers and stuff as in sewing

Mojo

How long do the blades last on these hot knifes ?

Chris

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 11, 2011, 02:52:17 pm
How long do the blades last on these hot knifes ?

Chris

don't know for sure but I bought one and repla Ed the blade about
4 years ago I bought s new one  about then also  I hang the knife from thenblade on a screw on the side of my table so that may hAve helped I had the ols knife fall apart  the screws that gold the blade n siezed  ans broke off. Then I tried to open the tool but didn't have. The proper tool to do so and rhhen it was taped together for some time then it went in the trash  then rhe blade went agsi.   So it will last quite. Some time. 
I've only got the one and I need a 2nd for my other sewiing  station