Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 01:25:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pop Up Camper Fabric

Started by jojo, August 06, 2011, 05:51:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Has anyone ever replaced pop up camper canvas? Any pitfalls I should know about? How about a source for the fabric? Thanks!
Jo

Mike8560

I did one once and I said I'll never do it again it. Wasn't worth the money.

Mike8560

A tualy I had found a ace that sold replacments.  If I did it again I'd have gone that way but most have and old cheap old
pop up that needs canvas they get it for next to nothing and that what they want to spend on replacinents

jojo

So which part is the pain, the fabrication or the installation? I may be able to work out a deal where I just sew and the customer can put it on?

Mike8560

Ll after it pops up there is pop outs at each end that have window s reen and Curtians  for privacy all on one   Buble of canvas. Not like a boat one window with s s reen that zipped to the next   
The. The whole  bulbus pop out part has to sew to the two long  sides and you fitti g it all on into the tracks is. A pain   Not saying not to do it but charge a fair price for yourself 
You'll probly wish you didn't take it on. I did and only did one. It was years ago
I had a call a dew month ago on one but like I said they got sn old cheap trailor that had lousey canvas there probly not going want to pay you what is fair to you.
  I thi k I got about 1800 and didn't like it.     

Mike8560

Oh I forgot. Though theboem was a cotton fabris I went with coverlite at the time a p c coating on a ripstop fabric. 

Darren Henry

As always Mike is right. When you realize the amount of labour involved your eyes will look like Jim Carrie's character in the "mask".

You can minimize the size of the puddle of canvas you have to wrestle by adding zippers at the four corners of the trailer itself.i.e; the panel from the door is separate from the slide out,is separate from the back wall,-----. Bon-air and older jayco were built this way. Some had flaps with velcro, like a boat top , to seal the zipper.The selling point to the customer is that if they damage the canvas again they need only bring you the one section for repair/replacement and save money.

Complete every task on each panel before joining it to the next one. " oh,I'll put the ??, privacy curtains ?? in later" will kill you.

Get away from cotton canvas and use a mold/mildew resistant fabric . Your suppliers probably call them by a different name , but google "all weather","barracuda", etc... as Mike suggested.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

DBR1957

Have done a couple of these. Never again. You can buy a used complete camper
in good condition for what I would charge.

Seriously, go here and see if they have the replacement.

http://www.canvasreplacements.com/?gclid=CIyOotOfz6oCFY125QodWwRoyg

Unless of course you're a glutton for punishment.

jojo

Thanks for the link! Of course, I am a glutton for punishment. I ended up repairing a few spots, and even that was grueling! The customers actually found fabric at Walmart (our Walmart just got a fabric dept!), and I was surprised that it was pretty decent fabric. It was denier nylon with a rubberized backing, and they said they paid 5. something a yard.

DBR1957

I am always hesitant about using customer supplied material. If the material
fails will the company pay for the time to re-make the cover? See if you can
find the mill that made the fabric and see if they recommend it for your application.

Remember, those backed fabrics don't breath and could cause a mildew
problem.