Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 08:24:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

He says anyone can do it

Started by Allan, July 27, 2011, 02:24:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I just got this article in an email

http://www.passagemaker.com/subscriptions/channels-e-newsletter/item/1491-do-it-yourself-canvas-making

See I don't know what you guys make all the fuss about hehe!!!   ;D ;D

This guy says anyone can do it

(no this is not a Tuesday joke)

Allan

bobbin

Wind cloths? doesn't get any easier than that.  NO wonder he thinks marine canvas is easy.  And the little cover pictured fits nicely, but that's not exactly a taxing project, either.  Can't wait to see his California dodger.   ::)

But all told, I give the guy credit; he didn't like the price and he went for it, making his own stuff.  Takes time, effort, research, and patience to fumble your way through something new. 

gene

July 27, 2011, 04:37:04 am #2 Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:42:39 am by gene
Just look at all those hours, days, weeks, months, and years you professional canvas workers waisted learning your trade. ANYONE CAN DO IT!

He said, "But I have a secret. I bought a sailmaker's sewing machine."

That's it? All I need is THE SECRET? No, there is one more thing you must do. He said, again, "Watch AND LEARN. Before you begin any project, whether boat cover or bimini top, take a walk around the docks to see how the professionals do it."

Now you can sew like professionals!

He said, "Just don't tell my mom that I can sew." Why? Does he think his mom will think he is gay? (Gay as in happy?, or gay as in if you had a choice to look at a naked picture of a man or woman you would choose a man.)

I bought an airplane Sunday. I walked around the airport looking at airplanes on Monday. Tuesday I flew to Chicago's O'Hara International Airport for lunch. I'M A PILOT! It is sooooo easy.

Then I bought some razor blade knives. Then I walked around an operating room at the hospital, until security made leave. Hey, I'm A SURGEON!

Clearly Sailrite put out this article. They may sell a few sewing machines with this article, but they won't get a lot of happy repeat business.

Hey Allan, congrats on the Tour De France. You finally had a mate win the whole thing.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

jojo

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. I can see why he was motivated, though. Some canvas lofts gouge simply because they can. I know canvas shops are very scarce in my area, and some of the quotes I've heard my customers got from them are simply unbelievable.  Then again, this guy could simply be a cheap bastard. But he did spend almost $1000 on a portable sewing machine, so you never know.

Mike8560

July 27, 2011, 10:01:11 am #4 Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:23:55 pm by Mike8560
You know there so GOOD now thet should go help
out a marina neighbor do a nice sailbaot or trawler Bimini and enclosure.  It so easy.  Take a week or two. Do it cheap and make them happy.  Or charge a real price normal  and see how good they are ?  

bobbin

I've seen plenty of DIYers over the years.  I have had to fix a lot of "attempts", too.  About the worst thing I've said to any of them is, "gonna quit your day job any time soon?".  But my price is the same; doesn't matter to me if I'm starting from scratch or ripping out beginners' work and starting from that point.  Time is money, baby.  :)

Lol, Mike.  Yeah... wanna see his full camper enclosure.  69 thread? righty-o!

scottymc

Anybody can do canvas work(if they have a lot of time) and the odd one can do it better than any of us can, but the good one's aren't doing it to save money, it's cause they like the challenge. I think most of the people who are doing it to save money are just devaluing there boats.
I myself proved that any idiot can build a house.

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on July 27, 2011, 03:11:24 am
But all told, I give the guy credit; he didn't like the price and he went for it, making his own stuff.  Takes time, effort, research, and patience to fumble your way through something new. 

That's exactly it Bobbin. He can do it himself and the job will look like an amateur did it. Or hire a pro and add value to his boat.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Peppy

Quote from: gene on July 27, 2011, 04:37:04 am
Clearly Sailrite put out this article. They may sell a few sewing machines with this article, but they won't get a lot of happy repeat business.

Amen.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Grebo

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 27, 2011, 10:01:11 am
out a marina neighbor do a nice sailbaot or trawler Bimini and enclosure.  It so easy.  Take a week or two. Do it cheap and make them happy.  Or charge a real price normal  and see how good they are ?  

Spot on Mike  ;D

Suzi

Mike8560

Quote from: Grebo on July 28, 2011, 06:31:58 am
Quote from: Mike8560 on July 27, 2011, 10:01:11 am

Spot on Mike  ;D

Suzi

I'm alway Mazed at what a buyer accepts when they buy a boat even néw. As a package deal.
Them later on when ther want new canvas  it has to be a perfect work of art.
Even on upholstery. I redid some pontoon bost seat.  The owner removed the seats and I. Upholstered them. Then when there were installed his wife then noticed the hindges that somtime have vinyl cover g the hindge   But theese didn't do indie it as it was oem and now she noticed them    Didnt even look at them before.

Mojo

I have said this all along " canvas / Marine " people are under worked and over paid.  :P

It is so easy I do not even screw around with it and refuse all marine work.......... ;D

I leave all the big money - easy projects for Mike and June. .... lol

BTW, machine repair is another simple job. There is only like......what......4 or 5 moving parts on a machine ?
Heck I could train one of my German Shepherds to do the work. :)

OK, I will shut up and get back to it.

Chris

Mike8560

Repair shop now there hard to find.  In Alton nu I had to drive to Sanford me. Here I have to drive down to Naples about an hour and a half drive  to a hone machine shop who has a guy who can work on industrials
any thing up your way mojo you know of?

Mojo

The only repair person I know of near me is myself. :)

I have repaired both my machines. Not fun, tedious but I get it done. Of course when I get stuck
I call Bob Kovar and he talks me through a certain procedure.

I have been working on motors, machines and other stuff since I was a kid so I got used to the mechanics of things. Still sewing machines can be tricky. If something major ever happens to my machine then I will either try fixing it or box it up and send it to Bob.

I believe Tampa has a repair center there for industrial machines.

Chris