Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:23:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A new canvas school

Started by Mike8560, July 25, 2011, 06:11:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

y thats Mark Hood , i have one of his binders if anyone wants to buy it.

Dave in Buffalo NY is booked in to visit that school in September, i wanted to go
as well but just can't afford it right now.

it was a good idea when i bought it but english zippers are wider than us zippers
so i can't use it .

I made a Hood type enclosure this past week and it does look alright
but takes forever to make. Well take me forever heheh
Rich

Mike8560

Who is  Dave on buffalo ny ?

fragged8

he lives in Buffalo :-)

Dave is on my forum a lot but does come in here sometimes.
He's a pal I met when i came over there for training and we've been
friends ever since.

When he's been to Marks school i'll ask him if he can report back.

Rich

Mike8560

Thanks rich I recall you mentioned Jim once before but I didn't recall seeing s Dave here other then Dave in canada. 

Peppy

What do they charge for a course? Think there's any money in training people? Or is it just like the "it's just that easy" thread. A bunch of cheapo boaters wanting a deal?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jojo

Pep,
There seems to be a lot of money in training. I've never lived near a canvas "school", and so bought a lot of books on the subject. If you make a dvd, however, you could sell it for big bucks. I used to seek them out, but the only ones really available are from the Marine Canvas Training Institute, and the set is like $700 or $800!! I decided that it's way cheaper to learn as you go, mistakes and all. So far with the help of the great people on this board, I've been able to get by just fine.
Thanks everyone!

Mike8560

Ya after many gears having boat at my doorstep to work on when ideciddd to make a move to Florida I k ew I'd have to learn to go pattern a boat  on site. So I older the whole set jojo
turns out many of rhe thing inhad come to on my own. The the pattenrinf tapes made sence and was easy to pick up.

jojo

For my most recent boat cover, I used Peppy's half pattern paper method, and it worked beautifully! Of course I totally forgot to take a picture.  >:(
I'm going to use this method whenever I can get away with it.
Mike, I hope you are able to re-sell the dvds and recoup some of that money!

Mike8560

July 27, 2011, 07:21:45 pm #9 Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:56:44 pm by Mike8560
When I have to do a mooring cover mostly center console here ( no snaps)
I only pattern one half of the boat. There is alot of play so if somthing Is off a little bit left to right no biggy   Ill even half pattern a snap on cockpit cover. Never tried a top and enclosure yet. Too scarry and costly if it wrong  but it works great on my mooring covers
if it has a troing motor on the front then I'll pattern bolth l sides of the bow and one on The rear
here is an example even the tower was half patterned

206RB

Mike,
Take a minute and tackle spell check. Seriously.

needles eye

July 28, 2011, 06:21:42 am #11 Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:32:13 am by needles eye
Mike's messages are what they are, being because he mainly uses an iphone and he has gnarly marine upholster's hands
what is is

me i like his messages
better than the times crossword!

seriously though have you checked out the prices of the courses offered in mass?
and mike hey dudes hes giving freely of his time and knowledge to all comers
too cool
gotta love it
tanto uberior (L.), so much the richer
totidem verbis (L.), in just so many words

um... facta non verba (L.), deeds not words

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(                                                
                                ;D :P ;D

Grebo

Quote from: needles eye on July 28, 2011, 06:21:42 am
mike's messages are what they are, being because he uses an iphone and has gnarly marine upholster's hands
what is is

me i like his messages
better than the times crossword!

Me to  ;D   leave him alone 206RB or I will set Richard  on you  :P

Suzi

regalman190

July 28, 2011, 07:38:25 am #13 Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:39:11 am by regalman190
Hey! I like Mike's posts. And, reading them, keeps my mind working ;D

Thanks Mike!!!!
Regal Canvas

bobbin

Lol, Regal..  Me, too!  Look, not everyone knows how to type quickly/accurately and misspellings are oftentimes nothing more than fingers gone amiss.  Never occured to me that Mike may be contributing via an iPhone, lol.  (I can barely handle the stupid Trac Fone I have, lol... texting? forget it!)

Sometimes I've had to scratch my head reading one of Mike's posts but I'm always glad I made the time to decipher because he clearly knows what he's doing and he always adds something interesting to discussions on marine canvas procedures. 

Learning to speak "Mike" is well worth it!