Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:41:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

hot rod Pfaff 1245 stand

Started by W-Cummins, July 20, 2011, 12:21:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

W-Cummins

July 20, 2011, 12:21:18 am Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:10:12 am by W-Cummins
Well I hatted my crappy "K" leg stand that came with my machine :o :o So I had to make a new one! The old stand was wobbly and when I tried to attach casters to it, it just bent the bottom.  So anyway here are a few pictures of the new stand and its construction.

Cutting out the leg base

machining the adjustment slots

The legs

The table mounts

Welding

Base hanging from the painting "tree"

William...

Mojo

Wow........ You could park your car on that thing. I don't think you will have to worry about table wobble anymore.........:)

Awesome job on the fabrication work. Nice clean welds too. Maybe you should consider doing Fabrication work versus upholstery work.

Great job. Be sure and post pic's when its all done and the machine is mounted on it.

Chris

BigJohn

lets see a power hacksaw, plasma cutter, milling machine, mig welder, and spray equipment, just your average upholstery shops equipment!

Wow what an excellent job, wish I had that talent and equipment.

Big John

slodat

Quote from: BigJohn on July 20, 2011, 07:58:32 am
     lets see a power hacksaw, plasma cutter, milling machine, mig welder, and spray equipment, just your average upholstery shops equipment!

Wow what an excellent job, wish I had that talent and equipment.

Big John

I have all of those tools in my upholstery shop. I do auto upholstery and use the fab tools and wood shop tools (table saw that doubles as router table, etc) in my upholstery work. Most of the time making/modifying/restoring/repairing the part being upholstered.

fragged8

Quality piece of work there.

I have the tools in my workshop but no time to use them :-(

i bought a new Tig Welder/plasma cutter last year and have only used it once.

this sewing thing really gets in the way.

Rich

W-Cummins

Quote from: Mojo on July 20, 2011, 04:18:02 am
Wow........ You could park your car on that thing. I don't think you will have to worry about table wobble anymore.........:)

Awesome job on the fabrication work. Nice clean welds too. Maybe you should consider doing Fabrication work versus upholstery work.

Great job. Be sure and post pic's when its all done and the machine is mounted on it.

Chris

I admit it is a slight overkill  ;D  other than the casters it would support one end of my 1 ton dulley.   :)
Dose any one pay for fabrication work these days??  I'm not sure one can make a living doing that anymore , and I'm sure that no one would pay what it would cost to have one of these stands made.  I had the materials here and my time is only worth 5 cents per hr or I would not have it either

anyway
here are the rest of the pix!

I got some nice swivel locking casters with wheel brakes rated @ 150lbs each.  With their small size and the off set cut into the legs the stand has a nice low stance.

I used  hammered paint on it, it seems to hold up well.

I also salvaged the foot rest and treadle controls from the old stand and welded/bolted them on

William....

Mojo

That came out real nice William. That table will be around 100 years after your gone. :)

My brother owns a business and does custom fabrication work. He had to branch out and start doing other things as well to make a living. He just couldn't bring in enough fab work so he added some other services to the mix.

Chris

BigJohn

William:
     What no servo motor?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: BigJohn on July 23, 2011, 07:03:22 am
William:
     What no servo motor?

Yeah, what gives?  And I thought you were cheating when you used a standard stock bottom cross brace with standard Canadian foot pedal and lugs.  I thought these tricked out custom legs and braces were supposed to be completely legit. 

Otherwise, not a bad job overall, and I feel compelled to point out what you could have done since I can't do it myself! 

bobbin

Baby, I wish you were nearby! 

I have struggled to get a local welder to fashion some pretty simple brackets that would support roll down shades on our deck... they're not that tough, but that's prolly why they seem to fall through the cracks and get "forgotten".  I know how that goes, sometimes the easiest sewing repairs get put off again and again for just that reason.  ;)

And I've wanted some brackets made that will marry the standard K legs on my machines to the left side bench extensions.  I hate the wimpy, telescoping leg I've had to accept.  It's a pain to vacuum around and I have to collapse it to to move my machines.  I move them around a lot, too. 

Beautiful work; I've always wanted to learn how to weld.  "Sewing" with metal seems every bit as creative as sewing with fabric!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on July 23, 2011, 10:20:53 am
Baby, I wish you were nearby! 

I have struggled to get a local welder to fashion some pretty simple brackets that would support roll down shades on our deck... they're not that tough, but that's prolly why they seem to fall through the cracks and get "forgotten".  I know how that goes, sometimes the easiest sewing repairs get put off again and again for just that reason.  ;)

And I've wanted some brackets made that will marry the standard K legs on my machines to the left side bench extensions.  I hate the wimpy, telescoping leg I've had to accept.  It's a pain to vacuum around and I have to collapse it to to move my machines.  I move them around a lot, too. 

Beautiful work; I've always wanted to learn how to weld.  "Sewing" with metal seems every bit as creative as sewing with fabric!

Me too; we have three different welding systems at my job, and I can't use any of them.  The guys I work with are self taught, and can do what they need to do, but I REALLY want to learn formally, and to be honest, in a way that seems safe to me.