Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:31:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Camper to Bimini Side

Started by regalman190, July 13, 2011, 08:30:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

OK...let's see if I explain this correctly.

When I pattern a camper top attachment to the bimini top, I trace the same bow curve on both (the curve is pre-marked on the tube). I then cut 1" off the camper top curve and add my zippers. The curve fits good and no tucks or bellies.

The problem.....at the side where the points of the camper top go under the flap of the bimini top always end up too long and don't line up with the bottom edge of the bimini. I use the dot method and mark everything as I was taught.

Should I be doing something different with these edges?

Any ideas?

Regal Canvas

Mike8560

It must have somthing to do with rhe zipper connecrinf the fwo tops.
Asuminf tour rlfro t top pattern is marked and a dot at the corner. The rear top the same and the line that is the side on the two tops where. The tops stop you need to stop the zipper far engoughFrom the end at the sides after you allow your 1". My zippers are 11/2"   The zipper on y front top stopwatch a few inches from the end and the zipper on the rear top goes to the end.

DBR1957

Are you patterning both tops at the same time or the camper top after the
bimini has been installed?

If patterning at the same time this is what I think is happening.

The centerline length of the bimini actually draws up when the bimini canvas is
installed and changes the angle of the rear bimini bow somewhat. This will change
the curve required for the front of the camper and pull the camper forward. From center outward it will be OK to a point. My guess is the problem starts about
mid-point on the corners and the outer points of the camper are about 1/2" to
3/4" too far forward.

I've never really done the dot method. Always make the bimini first then pin the
camper blanks to the aft zipper.

Mike8560

Yes but if the zipper stop marks are right the two top should be the same   

regalman190

The tops are patterned separately. Dots line up.

I think Mike is right....I have been ending the zippers between the front top and the camper top about 3 inches short of the ends. This doesn't allow the rest of the curve to be pulled against the frame at the ends. I'm making one today. I'll extend the zippers to the ends and see what happens.
Regal Canvas