Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:14:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Knee lift / foot lift.

Started by Grebo, July 11, 2011, 06:58:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

July 11, 2011, 06:58:33 am Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:36:47 am by Grebo
After some considerable time I have finally got my 'standby' machine, the seiko STH 8BLD-1 in GWO.
It came with a knee lift, which to be honest I am not that keen on, probably because I am so used to the pfaff 545 & the foot lift. Would it take much to make it the same ?

Suzi

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Not much at all.  You could remove the knee lifter from uder the table, then remove the knee lifter bell crank bolted up under the machine with the roller on it.  Then, attach a chain to the now 'pull rod' then to a foot pedal.  I have pull rods with holes in the base so that you can push a cotter pin through holding the chain from sliding off.   

Keep in mind this setup will not work on a top loader, say A Singer 111W, where you would need a new presser foot lifting lever arm, return spring, and some other additinal parts. 

Both have been done before around here at Keytone, and I am the certified standologist on hand, and usually wind up doing this myself, but I guess I could send the parts out for this job if necessary.

Grebo

8)  Thanks Gregg.
It's do able then, great.
Don't suppose you are passing by sometime  :P

Suzi

bobbin

Grebo, I'm surprised that you prefer a foot lift on your single needle.  I am exactly the opposite, knee lift is my preference without question!  I think it's more efficient and just faster all around.  But, that's probably because it was my first experience with a single needle machine.  When I run any of my single needles I use my right foot on the treadle and the knee is right there next to the lift mechanism. 

Whenever I operate my overlock machine (which has a foot lift for the presser foot) I use my left foot for the treadle and keep my right foot on the presser foot lift.  I used to operate multi-needles in a manufacturing setting (piece rate wages) and found that leaving my foot on the lifter was a time saver.  Whenever I sit in front of a multi-needle I automatically put my left foot on the treadle and my right on the lifter.  Funny, huh?

Do you like the Seiko??

Grebo

Probably down to first experiences as well bobbin.
Also I think the knee lift may not be set up right, it seems to 'jump' when I start stitching again after lifting.  ::)

Seiko is great, has a huge long stitch on max & I like the reverse bar after the pfaffs lever,  but it is a bit fast I am waiting for the engineer to pop back with a different pully for it to slow it down before I take any fingers off  :-X

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Lots of folks like a foot pedal presser foot lifter as opposed to a knee lifter.  Auto trim guys come to mind.  I have no idea why, I just do what people ask me to do.