Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:42:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Grommet press.

Started by Grebo, July 07, 2011, 09:27:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Wellll, I finally got the grommet bits for my osborne button press.  ;D

Test run today on some soltis, ready for the scary first T top & oodles of grommets.
Man, I just put 10 grommets in, never touched the hammer, no squashed fingers, smashed hands or ringing in the ears.

I can get used to this .  8)  Cool.

Suzi

Mike8560

Oh it's a ton oc fun suzi. Hammering for me is long gone
I've got a bench press that I like to use sitting down cause it take a whe to do a whole top.
Ehat do you have for grometts ? I used to be able to
vet selfpiercing but inhabmvnt found  any that work for a while  so I punch  my holes using a hand cutter the pressthe snaps in.  I'll tell ya thou half way around a t top and I wish now inhad a power press   
Auto loading grommets would be cool too. 

Allan

July 08, 2011, 03:48:01 pm #2 Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:48:26 pm by Allan
Suzi , Mike

Do either of you use stainless steel grommets in your press and if so what size??

If so can we have a photo of the press please

I use 1/2"  stainelss steel self piercing grommets and I cannot set them with a 1 tonne arbor press
I use a 2 tonne workshop press

Allan

Mike8560

July 08, 2011, 05:33:59 pm #3 Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:55:32 pm by Mike8560
I use #1 spur grometts I don't have a pic buy I'll get one tomorow

Allan

Thanks Mike

These are the presses I use

This one for the grommets

This one for the snaps as it will not set a stainless steel grommet even though it is a one tonne arbour press

Allan

morrisman

I had problems with grommets . Mainly those cheap chinese ones the hardware stores here sell.

I had a think about it,  the big problem is they are very thin and they distort very easy . I decided to beef them up by placing the washer part over the other part making it more robust , a sandwich of washers makes it stronger. .

I have a workshop press like Allens . I used a steel ball , like out of a ball bearing , to squash  down the grommet and it works great . 

I made a little grommet die in the lathe , to position the grommet as it squashes...lathes are very cool and every shop needs one . A Southbend 9 is ideal . or a Hercus here in OZ .

Mike

Consew 226 R-2 still learning

kodydog

Wow Allan! That top one looks like a manly press. Looks like something out of a machine shop. I have a gear driven press like your bottom one. I don't have a call for SS but with brass I need to be careful not to press to hard or it'll drive the grommet right through some fabrics.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

I forgot mine will set as but it's not gear driven so it takes more force I asune them one
the handle just pushes down on the gromet

Grebo

July 11, 2011, 01:31:15 am #9 Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:32:55 am by Grebo
Here's mine, from our host Ken  ;D
Currently nailed down to an old workmate, tends to flex a bit in use, so needs a new home.  :-X

New bits via Osbourne UK.
#3 cutter in place.

Suzi

hdflame

I need to buy some #4 spur grommets and would love to find a self piercing one.

I was thinking that Miami Mike had posted on here one time about selling self piercing SS grommets.  Anybody have a source for them?

So far I've just been using the cheap brass coated ones from Lowe's and setting with hammer.  I have to have some with a 1/2" hole in the middle, that's why I need the #4.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

Ahh suzi that
m y button press you have there

Grebo

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 12, 2011, 01:52:51 pm
Ahh suzi that
m y button press you have there

;)

No it's mine now..  ;D & you can't have it back.

Suzi