Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 07:39:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New set-up

Started by sofadoc, July 02, 2011, 02:41:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

After acquiring a Juki DDL-555 in a trade, here's my new sewing set-up:

I sew zippers and other simple seams on the 555(right), then I spin around to my 1508(left) to finish sewing cushions, and other heavier corded items.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Doc:

I like how everything in your work area is neat and tidy. I didn't get an OCD panic attack when I looked at your picture.

Nice setup partner. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on July 03, 2011, 06:45:34 am
I like how everything in your work area is neat and tidy. I didn't get an OCD panic attack when I looked at your picture.

C'mon man, you KNOW that I just cleaned it up long enough to take the picture! I didn't wanna send you to the ER on the 4th of July weekend ;)

gene

July 03, 2011, 07:43:07 am #3 Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:43:52 am by gene
Thanks for the pic. I have two sewing machines that I use.

This past Christmas I spent some time with this link and rearranging my shop:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

I believe byhammerandhand posted this a year or so ago.

I never even thought of putting my two sewing machine back to back!

I will definitely consider this option.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

Sofa., nice set up!  Have you ever had a basic, bottom feed machine before? (I still call 'em "drop feed" machines).  I'll wager you'll come to just love it for the "light weight" stuff that your 1508 tends to "eat".  I am a machine junkie and there is nothing nicer than having "options" when your usual machine isn't getting job done easily.  :)

I use my Juki 9010 for a huge amount my work load (it's a needle feed machine, but no walking foot; prolly more able to handle more layers and loft than the 555, kind of half way between that and the 1508).  I have not fully resolved the question about the 1/4" toe welting set up on my 1541, but your suggestion that I wrap the foam welt with a thinner layer of fabric and try that is in the front of my pea brain.  Great, very "scientific" way to solve the problem... I really like the way you think. 

Which reminds me... I really have to speak with Gregg about a few accumulated irritants that can be easily resolved by contacting people who know what they're doing! 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on July 03, 2011, 07:45:23 am
I'll wager you'll come to just love it for the "light weight" stuff that your 1508 tends to "eat". 

You should go to Vegas, 'cause you'd clean up with that kind of wagering!
You couldn't be any more right about the way it treats the light stuff gentler than than the 1508. Now ya got me wantin' a 9010 :).
Maybe I should get a serger, and a long neck to go with the two that  I've got now.
I could arrange them like a square fortress, and tunnel under to the middle ;D

bobbin

Seriously, Sofa., an overlock machine would be the next logical equipment acquisition for you.    I would recommend a 5 thread overlock (you may never use the "safety stitch" but it's THERE) if you want it! (if you by such a machine make sure you walk away with the full parts book and the complete operator's manual.  Do not accept a 2 or 3 page photocopied "substitute".

My boss doesn't really understand equipment, at  all.  There are 5 machines in the shop and 4 of them are needle feed, walking foot machines.  The other is a zig-zag.  They all perform the exact same function and one of the 4 is a long arm machine... it's used once in blue moon. 

NONE of the machines has a varied set up of presser feet.  EG:  there in only ONE complete 1/4" welting set up in the shop.  When a request for retrofitting bed linens for berthing in high-end yachts  comes in I am asked to get the job done on walking foot machinery, with a size 16 needle.  In my own shop I have the proper machinery and thread to deliver a proper, "professional" job.  It just about kills me to slave away on ill-suited equipment and deliver a sub-standard, CRAPPY looking product after about twice the time it would have taken me "at home". 

The proper machinery makes all the difference!

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on July 03, 2011, 10:33:19 am
It just about kills me to slave away on ill-suited equipment and deliver a sub-standard, CRAPPY looking product after about twice the time it would have taken me "at home".

I remember a year or 2 ago, you were trying to convince your boss to hire you on a contract labor basis. If your home equipment is that much better than the shop, he's a numbskull for not just "subbing" the work out to you.
That's good to know about the 5 thread overlock. What's a good model to look for?
Your boss really ought to pop for some extra feet. Those E-Bay feet sometimes need a little grinding, but they're certainly cheap enough.

bobbin

Yeah, well Sofa. we aren't always able to get what we want, are we?  And, so,  we "suck it up" to make the  grim reality of our expenses "work" within the parameters of "our pay". 

I've been hustlin' my cakes to get the job done "outside of work" and it's OK, but "work" is still mighty comfortable when it comes to the weekly "nut"!

Boss is too cheap to fork over any pork for something as simple as presser feet/routine machine maintenance, etc.).  Stupid is as stupid does....  I watch, make notes, and see the "openings" that provide opportunity for me.  But I'm not yet ready to break for an opening that isn't quite yet clearly defined. 

Hell Bat

July 03, 2011, 12:47:47 pm #9 Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:50:24 pm by Hell Bat
Sound like a very good way to think about! 8)
Happy 4th july ;D
Nice lay out Sofadoc   :)

Lynn

Hey Sofa,
Are you near any Canadian borders? I have an overlocker to sell (Yamoto six thread). Sorry no manuals, I aquired it from a retired machine shop owner. Runs like a charm, but I already have a six thread Siruba, so I don't need it.

Lynn
Ps I'm on Vancouver Island, BC
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

sofadoc

Lynn: Thanks, but I'm in Texas.

Hell Bat

Quote from: sofadoc on July 03, 2011, 03:45:15 pm
Lynn: Thanks, but I'm in Texas.

Didn't you say TEXAS was that BIG  :P

Mike8560

Bobbin what do you do at your home shop any side jobs?
I have to Finnish my née shop  it's   small I've insulated and built my table but I've still got to put somthing on the walls I'm panning on pegboard with hook I can move where needed. I've just been to busy working  and now I e got w ne boat that imworking on also
inwant to do new canvas and upholstery.  Too many thing to do 

kodydog

Nice set up Sofa. You can sew your zippers and spin around to close your cushion without missing a beat. No time wasted changing feet.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html