Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:43:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mondays job

Started by fragged8, June 23, 2011, 11:47:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

June 23, 2011, 11:47:07 am Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:51:09 am by fragged8
hiya

I have this Sealine 310 to do on monday, I've decided on
my plan of action but wanted to pass it by you guys.

the front cover i'm going to raise the bow because the headheight inside is silly
and make the window the same angle as the front screen, I want to make the
whole screen removeable can i just pattern this like a reverse convertible top ?

and the back will be a convertible top off the arch, i'm going to make
a new 2 bow frame as he wants the aft curtain more vertical so the top
needs to be longer.  i'm thinking
the big curve around the back of the seats my cause me a problem though ??
or am i imagining it. ?  
I was thinking the side curtain to aft curtain zipper needs to be right round the
side of the boat at the start of the curve  otherwise it will be at a crazy angle
to reach the end of the rain flap where the curtains intersect. ?

notice the amount of boats with pram hoods Peppy :-)

Mike8560

What do you meen Rich is the front top silly high? Of low o the feat top and frame I think a cantslevrr top like peppy like would be cool if the top is t going to be rolled up.
I'd make thentear panel meet the side panel on the side also and as far as the curved stern I don't see a big problem for you straigght is easier but insee many curved sterns with no trouble

fragged8

the front top is silly low at the moment Mike and the
pvc screen is tiny.
I want to lift the bow up to make the screen wider
and the head height taller.

I've just been thinking about it , patterning it like a
convertible top won't quite work? it needs to be like
one of those brow covers that comes off the rear of an
arch, but on the front. ?

does that ring any bells ?
rich

Peppy

You brits make some funny looking tops! ;) Although every marina has it's own look, why should countries be any different?

If given free reign I'd totally make a shwang out (or cantilevered if you like Mike) top off the back. Use his current deck mount for the tention bar and come off the arch with the main bar. Photobucket won't let me draw on your picture but it'd be like this-

And I'd do awning rail on the arch. And probably less canvas more window. Although I do like the PDQ style windows. And get rid of the tension piece on the back corner. I hate those. And a strap in the center back? Come now. But I will say that baby blue binding is kick ass. Set that off with pink snaps.

You think you'll be able to just raise the front bar? Can't tell from the picture but I'd guess you'd need a new one?

The curved back won't be a problem.
QuoteI've just been thinking about it , patterning it like a
convertible top won't quite work? it needs to be like
one of those brow covers that comes off the rear of an
arch, but on the front.

I don't follow you....
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Can't really see the side of the front top how the frame is.
Most exress I've seen have the front frame mount on the window frame and a spreader bar to bold it up then the rear top is as you say  like this
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Express%20cruiser%20enclosures/34SEARAY.jpg
it looks as if the front top angles down so there is room to play raising the front of it without making it taller then the arch  the rear top as you say a brow  is the one in my pix what you meen?
That's what I meant only being farther out tonthebrear so thebaft panel would be more verticle I would call that a canitelar top.  Peppy calls it swanved. I'd make a horizontal. Frame come off the arch with a support angles off the arch sonit would all be open space  when thebpanels are off  like a brow only sticking out farther to the rear.

fragged8

that brow pic is what i was thinking Mike, but turning it around and mounting it
on the front of the arch  ?
some inside pics of one of those would be good if anyone has any ?

And i'd love to make a cantilever top but i've never made one, they do look nice.
i did think awning rail but the arch edges are pretty curved so not sure about
doing that as i've only done little rail jobs, nothing this size. i'd probably
mess the patterning up.

It seems again this year i get all the jobs i've not done before hehe I guess there
comes a point when ive done em all hehe then something new will come along

the canvas on the boat is OEM and the binding peppy is a horrible green that
sealine use, made from vinyl so looks like poo after a year or two in the sun

Peppy

Oh, bRow! I thought that was a typo for bow! Ya on the front I would totally change it up. If it has splitter bars now off the arch I'd use those fittings to mount the arch and the fittings on the window to mount the tention bars. Not sure if it really matters but I'd rather 'pull' than 'push'.

What do you mean you'd pattern it differently? A top's a top's a top, no?

Horrible green? It's awesome! It's the accent on the Filthy Oar!
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Rich I don't k ow yours boat measurments but on the s/r I showed the front top is mounted on the widow with spreader/ push var for tention off the arch I like pushing as there is no obstuction in the way of open space like a strap or strut.  The vow could have come off the arch with aeg to pull the top toligbt comming down to the window   Id make my crown crown up if the frame was off the arch.
I don't see any advatage on the  sea Ray pic if it was that way.

fragged8

if you fitted a keder track Mike would you make the top first and fit it
before patterning the window or would you pattern it in one go ?

Rich

Mike8560

I pattern them I. One go Rich. Mark the slot for the kedar and do all as any other topSome dot will just be on the arch

DBR1957

I'm with peppy on the back. That way the frame can follow the curve of the
transom.

The front is going to be your problem. If you raise it higher the bimini will be
above the arch. That frame needs to go. You need to create one that matches
the contour of the arch better. You're not going to get it much higher without
it looking funny but if you move it further forward you will get a better angle off
the windshield.

This has always been a problem with this style boat. They have a mid cabin which
creates a stepup at the helm. Which in turn reduces the headroom. SeaRay fixed
the problem by making the arch sky high. Fine for the helm but to tall for anywhere
else in the cockpit.

This drawing shows the difference. Top image is with an extended top but same
height. Second image shows how a raised top would look.

fragged8

hiya

i have looked at the pitch of the front cover but the customer
is over 6ft tall so it really has to be raised higher than the arch.
As the aft cover tips to the stern so much i can raise that too
and try to blend the two covers together to make one gentle drop
to the stern.

I was kicking back yesterday so took the boat out on the river and
took the opportunity to check out some boats in the marina.
this is the same make and the screen is more curved on the one i'm doing.

DBR1957

Same make is irrelevant. That second boat has a totally different windshield/arch
profile.

If you make the the bimini follow the line of the pram, as you call it, you will be
creating a parachute with the forward windscreen off.

Sometimes you just have to tell the customer certain things don't work on certain
boats. My number one policy is to be honest and direct with a customer. Saves you
headaches and saves them disappoint when they realize they spent a lot of money
for something they doesn't look very nice or function properly.

Mike8560

Rich doese the front top angle down from the arch ?
If so is the arch tall enough for the owner? You could raise the top mayby slightly  taller

fragged8

i didnt think about scooping up the air good point.
does it really make a problem if the front cover opening is
higher than the arch ?