Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 10:52:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Website spelling

Started by Mike8560, June 23, 2011, 07:20:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Quote from: ajlelectronics on June 23, 2011, 11:20:40 pm
"de minimis non curat lex (L.), the law does not concern itself with trifles"

Maybe so, but a website is a shop window. It is where potential customers make a decision about whether or not they wish to do business with you. If the appearance is one of an illiterate, then I for one would be put off, justified or not. The text you offer to the world, either on a website, or even in postings to a forum, speak volumes about you and how you regard quality standards. All in my humble opinion of course.

So very true. 2 years ago I ordered some ad cards on solar screens. My wife and I both proofed these cards before they went to the printer. I got them back, sat down and read one and sure as hell there was a typo. I threw them out and ordered a several hundred more.

I could have used them but my OCD wouldn't allow it and I didn't want a communication about my business out there with a typo. It was an expensive mistake.

I used to have to proof read volumes of materials for clients marketing and PR programs. I would go over everything, make changes and then send them to a friend who was an English prof. I paid her a fee to make sure I didn't miss anything.

One of my former clients ( Valvoline ) used to get hundreds of proposals every year for racing sponsorships. These proposals would be numerous pages bound in report covers along with an attached race team portfolio. They used to do their initial sort by appearance. If they were low quality or looked unprofessional they got deep sixed into the trash can without even being read. The next stage was to read and toss those which were poorly written. The last stage was the selection process of those remaining based on standards and other criteria.

Business owners have no idea just how important a clean, professional and well put together web site, ad cards or other communications materials really is.

Chris

Mike8560

Y biggest problem lately is my pc dosent work well so I
use my I phone  and  even though the keyboard is small and old eyes  the dam thing has ituitive spelling.  If you make one mistake and don't see it it types a differnt word then you typed. 
Then again  I wasn't   Into English. I was a music major.

ajlelectronics

Quote from: Mike8560 on June 24, 2011, 06:40:50 pm
Y biggest problem lately is my pc dosent work well so I
use my I phone  and  even though the keyboard is small

Are you aware that you get a bigger keyboard if you rotate the iPhone to its horizontal orientation?

That "iPhone" grates on me. I know it is a trademark, but it's just so wrong! There seems to be a trend to destroy all the established rules of English, the better to be thought "kewl" by the backward baseball cap gang.

scottymc

Quote from: needles eye on June 24, 2011, 10:21:04 pm
Hi Bobbin re the Latin, can consider knocking it off if it's specifically required.  :o
Especially love Italians. Love their culture and history. Have very valued Italian family and friends.
Was an extremely mean horrible nasty bastard to Italians, Greeks and other ethnic cultures at primary and secondary school.
I may burn in hell. Kids are so nasty to each other and they cause lifelong scars in their thoughtless teasing which causes lifelong consequences, that is, being because of someone elses' fragile ego and bullying. Went to fifteen different schools before some tertiary education, spoke real fast as a kid  as was born in Hong Kong (my father in the RAAF, Air Force) and learnt some cantonese before speaking english, and had a big nose and was a tall skinny streak growing up suffering from terribly low self esteem [about talking to fast in a sing song manner, having a big nose and being tall and skinny). Asserted my feelings of inferiority in a scummy selfish manner by paying out on nice unsuspecting immigrants to make me feel better about myself.

Now share my enthusiasm for Italians with the world currente calamo (L.), with a running pen, with the pen of a ready writer.

Don't worry mate, in case you haven't noticed the wogs have been giving it back for quite some time now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZXix0llK1M&feature=related

Mike8560

Quote from: ajlelectronics on June 24, 2011, 11:29:31 pm

Are you aware that you get a bigger keyboard if you rotate the iPhone to its horizontal orientation?

ya I always use it that way for that reason bu tif you make a simple mistake it wll print a different word.

byhammerandhand

I thought this was the real Aussie export?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWQCHb95rg

At least to my granddaughters it is.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scottymc

Quote from: scottymc on June 25, 2011, 03:55:25 pm
Quote from: byhammerandhand on June 25, 2011, 08:56:50 am
I thought this was the real Aussie export?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWQCHb95rg

At least to my granddaughters it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAVC07xtzY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXLyDyF5qlk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pa96IAIyWE&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVTGnpyrBl25yYBaXQ1IvYkVJSGSL5DNNv

Then you would recognize these guys?

Well maybe no one recognized these guys or maybe no one looked, but anyway my bit of useless trivia, way off the subject as is my liking. This band the cockroaches were later to become the wiggles

gene

Needle eye: when I was growing up I used to admire people with low self esteem because at least they had some.

I like the word 'weather' in place of 'whether' for someone who is a marine upholsterer. Some folks might catch the pun.

Texting and a world economy are certainly changing the rules of spelling. And there are still schools that teach kids to 'get the meaning written down, and we will deal with correct spelling later'.

I do think it conveys a negative impression when web sites and mailings and business cards have typos. I still make mistakes also. It seems to be getting easier for me to simply type the incorrect letter, such as wanting to type "rest", but I type "best". Spell check won't catch that one.

Did you hear about the guy who has CDO? That's OCD but the letters are in the correct order.

Just think: if Mike8560 had won the national spelling bee when he was 12 years old we would not be having this enjoyable thread.

geen

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

U if I had one I may have done somthing else wheather I like IT or not