Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 01:28:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Website spelling

Started by Mike8560, June 23, 2011, 07:20:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

I was notified of possible error on my site
Is enclosures proper.  A d farther down it says
weather you have ..... Is the proper weather.
http://www.bayviewcanvas.com/bayviewcanvas.html

ajlelectronics

Adding a camper back to your boat greatly increases the living space and enjoyment of your boat.

The camper top provides shade and rain protection for the entire open area of your cockpit.

Camper enclosure panels can vary from simple curtains with clear panels for visibility, to having screening for ventilation and privacy panels, for nightime privacy at the dock.

Whether you have a smaller day cruiser or large yacht we can provide for your needs and increase the time and pleasure you have on the water!

This camperback includes Phifertex mesh covers to block out the sunlight, keeping the inside cooler and offering privacy while still being able to see out.

Mike8560

I gueese weather should have been wether
I'll have to fix that

mike802

This is the type of thing that spell check does not work well at.  I struggle all the time with spelling on my web site.  When I am done, my wife goes over it and fixes what I miss, then if someone else is available we have them go over it also.  Then comes out the Franklin Speller, people who can spell well don't know how good they have it.  Even after that years later people will bring a mistake to my attention, or I am rereading and spot something, wondering how I could have missed it. :o
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

fragged8

sorry if this is confusing Mike but in uk I would use 'whether'
i can't tell you if wether is a US type of spelling like color instead of colour
over here.

Having said that I was a teacher for a few years and I can't spell for toffee
heheh  :o

Rich

CKKC

You might change the "you" to "your" where it says " the camper top provides shade and rain
protection...."

Next sentence where it says "camper enclosure panels......" the word "curtians" is spelled wrong,
it should be "curtains".

Just trying to help, not being picky!   

P.S.    Yes, it should be whether.

fragged8

you might be due a website update Mike,
i clicked on some of the pictures and some
don't enlarge.

Rich

Mike8560

Thanks all it been like that for years I never noticed

ajlelectronics

So did I waste my time then?

Mike8560

Quote from: ajlelectronics on June 23, 2011, 12:31:13 pm
So did I waste my time then?

did you let me know. I'll fix it as soon as posible. Thanks

ajlelectronics

I did miss one! "nightime" should be night time, although I would rephrase it as "For privacy at night".

bobbin

"Whether"

And I agree with Mike 802, no matter how hard you try to catch every mistake it's so easy to blow by one without realizing it.  It's the same way when you can't quite balance your checkbook... you see that all the numbers are correct and continually make the same error time and again. 

I don't think correcting errors is picky, at all.  Oversights are oversights, not necessarily indications of stupidity.  Personally, I'd rather laugh at myself, fix the mistake, and put my best "face" forward when it comes to a website.  You'll have your chance when I get around to putting one up, too!  ;)

needles eye

yep overall site looks good mike
weather to be or not to be, huh?
de minimis non curat lex (L.), the law does not concern itself with trifles
:-\

ajlelectronics

"de minimis non curat lex (L.), the law does not concern itself with trifles"

Maybe so, but a website is a shop window. It is where potential customers make a decision about whether or not they wish to do business with you. If the appearance is one of an illiterate, then I for one would be put off, justified or not. The text you offer to the world, either on a website, or even in postings to a forum, speak volumes about you and how you regard quality standards. All in my humble opinion of course.

bobbin

What's with all the Latin, Needles Eye? are you a Latin teacher who's now retired/unemployed? 

Nice summation, AJ; that's pretty much how I feel, too. 

I really love the internet because it allows me to connect with people who're interested in the same things I am; better yet, I get to share my interests with people all over the globe.  How cool is that?  In the same vein, while trifling spelling errors sometimes drive me nuts I've learned a few things about that over the years.
1.)  The poster may not speak English as his/her first language.
2.)  The poster may suffer from some sort of learning disability that makes reading/spelling really difficult for them.
3.)  Errors may be simple typographic errors... (I'm equally guilty!)
4.)  Not everyone received a basic, "reading and writing" education that was based in phonics, nor did they have parents who insisted on family reading, reading aloud, and insistence that reading and writing were skills were of paramount importance.  Not all parents had the luxury of time with their kids to make sure it was mastered because they were "too busy" making sure the bills were paid. 
5.)  Some people have suffered physical circumstances that make communicating hard, and typing is a very specific (therefore difficult) skill.  I watched Mum struggle to learn how to walk and use her left side again after a stroke.  Watching her struggle daily taught me to be more patient, more understanding, and a lot less judgmental in general. 

Literacy is the "highway" to success, but it's not the only way.  Sometimes the "back roads" are more interesting even though they may take longer.  If I am able to offer directions to the "highway" I will, but I'm equally content to poop along the "back roads", taking my time and enjoying the scenery.  I think you learn more that, IMO.