Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 04:27:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

chesterfield And horsehair

Started by fp2161, June 22, 2011, 01:38:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fp2161

Hey alge,

for £ 3,500 you are unlikely to find any large chesterfield in aniline leather with a traditional construction in horsehair with a couple of assorted footstools (like a 4-seater- 240cm/250cm).

I am expecting a pricetag between £5,000 and 10K overall depending on different factors. I met an upholsterer in France today. My main issue with French upholsterer is that they are trying to build a chesterfield with the same kind of material they would use for a continental/modern sofa: fairly thick leathers(1.4mm) in bullhides or calf, with one tone, grainy hides, so it hints at a fairly 'stiff' comfort and very little aging of the hide over time... Then you dont get no different styles either...

Finally, between France and the UK, I have a fairly good transporter, its not that expensive in the end, so I am all right.

Have you hears about Fleming and Howland? They are quite pricey, though their sofas look really goos (on their webpages at least). They are claiming that they designed the first leather chesterfield in 1780...

I do not know of any other 'canonical' maker in the UK (especially in the London area), so I am happy for you to provide me with any names!!!

alge

Quote from: fp2161 on June 25, 2011, 01:09:33 pm

for £ 3,500 you are unlikely to find any large chesterfield in aniline leather with a traditional construction in horsehair with a couple of assorted footstools (like a 4-seater- 240cm/250cm).

:D Exactly.

I took a look at the Flemming and howland site again, despite a few descriptive oxymoron's which always occur when the copy is done by a non upholsterer the content looks pretty genuine. As for claiming that they made the first Leather Chesterfield, that's a bold one. I'm not certain the origin of the Chesterfield is as traceable as say the Knole, It would make an extremely interesting article for our Associations Trade journal if they are and have evidence to substantiate the claim. All of the earliest chesterfieldesque sofas I've worked on (probably mid - late Georgian)were fabric with a horse hair squab seat pad construction, the backs tend to detach from the back of the arms for upholstering(this is unlike the later Victorian heavily buttoned Chesterfields) and the frames contained pine elements. To be honest I've not done much research in this area of sofa all my experience is anecdotal.

Getting back to F.H. website and your query the top end sofas shown in the images do look really well made and dyed, If you invest in them they probably wont need any attention this side of your lifetime, so if your looking for a sofa to pass on even if the hide has degraded the rest will be serviceable.

Canonical - I'm happy to admit i had to check with my wife as to what that meant (she is a historian and collections manager for the national trust) and we are still slightly uncertain as to your meaning mainly due to context. Do you mean (as i understand the term) with reference to the cannon of design and their [F.H.] upholding(no pun intended) the integrity of the original concept/ethos thus producing the real deal rather than an influenced by type of sofa. If so then probably yes i think that is most likely a fair comment.

Alex

pls note Upholding is one form of the earliest known term for upholstery in the English language

fp2161

I would mean canonical as in 'most recommendable', closest to the real deal, 'classic high end' as a rule of thumb.

e.g. I read a friend saying 'the canonical store for photo in NYC is B&H'
does this make sense to you?

alge

sorry i don't really get that example but yes on screen they appear to producing very credible products at a realistic price.

I will reply to your p.m with some additional advice in a day or so.

Alex

fp2161

Alex:

thank you for your help, I can't wait!

Have a good Sunday,