Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:19:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

juki ddl 555-4 3b INFO?

Started by christwo, June 12, 2011, 03:18:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

i jus bought a juki ddl 555-4 3b yesterday and was wondering if anybody can tell me about this machine

sofadoc

It's NOT a walking foot machine, and therefore, not suitable for auto/marine/furniture upholstery work.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

christwo

what defines a "walking foot machine" and furthermore, in that respect, what is it suitable for?

sofadoc

Here's a good explanation:
http://reviews.ebay.com/What-is-a-walking-foot-sewing-machine_W0QQugidZ10000000003442112
Basically, if a machine (such as the  DDL-555) only has ONE presser bar, it isn't a walking foot machine. It is a suitable tailoring machine.

christwo

that was quite helpful thanks, since i cant seem to find a manual online that you dont have to buy.. can you tell me how to adjust the stich length?

sofadoc

Is the stitch length dial not working?

christwo

i guess either that or the stitch length just isnt very adjustable on that machine.. the spacing just seems really short even on the longest setting

needles eye

Hi, this link has a free manual for you -

http://www.freshdl.me/jms/juki+555+service+manual.html

Plenty of manuals available if you want to pay some bucks too. Try a Google search, "Juki 555 manual".

Have you tried holding the reverse bar at half way position whilst trying to adjust stitch length on the dial? Note, you should be able to adjust from tiny stitches being almost on top of each other to, say, about 6 stitches per inch.

I'm a newbie, and, recently learnt to sew on this particular machine, and, it had auto foot lift, auto trim and auto back tack being via the computer / solenoid.  A real help.

With all due respect to other members of the Forum, the lady who taught me to sew with this machine was a tenant of mine for more than 3 years and she used a Juki 555-6 to make tailored lounge and sofa covers and she appeared to be consistently earning more than several grand a week, that is, with this machine. On the other hand, recently did some work experience with a furniture making company who only use walking feet machines to, apparently, maintain a consistent stitch on their work. Well, now, the best sermon is a good example.

If the feed dog mechanism is in good nick it will pull heavy fabric through and produce consistent even stitching if your tensions are set up right. Let the machine pull the work through without forcing it, and, try to watch your seam guide (a bit of tape or magnet or lump of post it notes or mark on the needle plate, etc), rather than watching your needle, when you first start as this will enable you to later sew in straight lines. Good sewing seems about keeping consistent seam allowances. I found the Juki 555 a great machine to learn on and very versatile and capable of sewing thin leather. It's all about matching the right needle and thread to the job, and learning to find the sweet spot on the foot control. When you improve, try to pump the foot control as you sew (vary the speed) such that you can then easily control where you want to stop, with the needle down, to pivot on corners etc. Learn to hold the threads when you first start to sew so the needle doesn't come unthreaded. You have to move the hand balancewheel towards you when you change the bobbin to pick up the threads. Always stop (adjust balance wheel towards you) with the take up lever (the threaded bar that goes up and down) at the top position so that the threads let go and you can pull the job out to trim the threads. Watch your fingers don't get sucked into the needle or feet! Keep the bobbin holder clean and lint free and check the bobbin plate spring is working okay. Silicone spray helps. Have lotsa fun in learning by doing. Personally i reckon you'll find your Juki 555 a great machine, and, you may later wish to compliment it with a walking foot machine. See if you can get an Adler.

Cheers.

;)

sofadoc

needles eye

Sincerely thanking you, sofadoc.  Well, now, I don't want to be the tailor done over....

I've listened to you and I've learnt. Indeed, you make good argument to the purpose.
Bless your heart. And cotton sox too.

So, am now moving on from my Singer 291U3 single foot.  But still love it's classic lines and fine work.

And, thanks so much Mojo, bobbin, Gregg @ Keystone Sewing, Allan, scottymc and fragged8.
There's no flies on you guys; and, if there has been you can't see where they have landed.

Now got an Adler 269-73 walking foot free arm (with a removable plywood surround board for a flat bed with an aluminium insert too offered up to arm so you can get your hands in there being if required). She's a real beauty. Ex saddlery.  Couldn't help myself also so got an Adler 267 FA-573 flatbed with auto trim and air lift too. Also ex saddlery. Has a computer so hopin' can learn to programme it to do 4 stitch auto backtacks, but  this one is 3 phase 'though, has just been serviced, looks like it may have seen a bit of work although it sews good. Paid eleven hundred and seven hundred bucks respectively. The universe and Bates Australia has been real good to me.  Per aspera ad astra (L.), to the stars by rough roads, through bolts and bars.

Again, thanking you.

morrisman

June 15, 2011, 11:21:59 pm #10 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:26:23 pm by morrisman
Juki 555's are a dime a dozen over here in Australia. There are ten of these around for every walking foot machine you see. I guess with factories closing a large amount of surplus  555's came on the market .

MIKE  
Consew 226 R-2 still learning

sofadoc

Quote from: morrisman on June 15, 2011, 11:21:59 pm
Juki 555's are a dime a dozen over here in Australia. There are ten of these around for every walking foot machine you see. I guess with factories closing a large amount of surplus  555's came on the market .

It's the most common one on my local Craigslist (besides the old Singer 241's).