Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:34:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Noisy walking foot sewing machine

Started by Dormar, June 10, 2011, 02:43:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dormar

I am new to this forum...and make airplane covers for experimental aircraft and I make boat covers and repair upholstery and hem my jeans.  My walking foot sewing machine (and I know it was made in China - that I am sorry to admit it after reading things on this forum about industrial sewing machine quality) but it is so noisy that I almost need ear protection.  I have oiled it well and that did not help.  I am wondering if all walking foot sewing machines are terribly loud. :(

sofadoc

Is it the machine that's loud? Or is it the motor? Are you getting a lot of vibration noise when idling? Does it sound like metal clanking against metal when sewing?
What model machine?
Answer these questions, and maybe we can steer you in the right direction.
They do tend to be louder when you're sewing long runs at a fast speed. But it shouldn't be loud enough to need ear plugs.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Is the name/number on the machine? 

Walking feet machines, some anyway, can be relatively noisy, but sounds like yours is above normal. 

There are walking foot machines and compound walking foot as well, knowing more about the machine might help  a small bit.

BTW, welcome and sounds like an interesting line of work. 

Does the noise seem to be getting worse?  It could be that the machine needs the attention of a mechanic.

Doyle

Grebo

My Pfaff rattles like a bag of bolts if it gets sand / grit in it, when restitching old stuff mainly. I have to blast it out with an air gun & give it a good oiling then it's fine.

Suzi

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on June 10, 2011, 02:52:22 pm
Is it the machine that's loud? Or is it the motor? Are you getting a lot of vibration noise when idling? Does it sound like metal clanking against metal when sewing?
What model machine?
Answer these questions, and maybe we can steer you in the right direction.
They do tend to be louder when you're sewing long runs at a fast speed. But it shouldn't be loud enough to need ear plugs.

This.  Is it the motor or the machine?  Take the belt off machine and run the motor alone, and see if the motor is making noise.