Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 06:21:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to get glue overspray off of vinyl?

Started by jojo, June 09, 2011, 03:44:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
I've made a bit of a mess and got some glue on some of my pieces. What's the safest way to clean it off without harming the vinyl?
Thanks,
Jo

Mike8560

Get some goo off at you local auto store
I get glue somtimes also not long ago I finnished a zest and went to wipe it down with a spray can ofvinyl cleaner but grabbed s spay glue can by mistake.  What a mess.

kodydog

Goo Off works great. Also denatured alcohol at home improvement stores or if you have a can of cigarette lighter fluid. Just remember to test a piece first. I've seen these chemicals take the top layer right off some vinyls.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

jojo

Thanks guys,
The Goo Gone worked great, and it didn't hurt the vinyl!

scottymc

June 09, 2011, 02:54:38 pm #4 Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:36:45 pm by scottymc
Easiest, cheapest way is to get contact adhesive is to wait for it to dry a little till it's rubbery and rub it off with your hand it will just roll off into balls, if it is a little late for that then the back of some vinyl with glue on it(very dry) will do the same easily, this a good way to clean up any excess glue around the edges of a job such as a patch, without affecting the edges without any sort of solvent.  

Brian W

3M Adhesive Remover works well too. Again, it is wise to test it on a scrap piece first. It works well to get glue overspray off of vinyl, leather, carpets, as well as paint.

jojo

Brian, I've never seen this...where can I buy it?

JuneC

Just about any auto parts store - Advance Auto, Bennetts, etc...  I've had Goo Gone expand the vinyl and ruin it - Thankfully I tested it first.

I personally like denatured alcohol or WD-40 oil. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Yikes, June! I rinsed the goo gone off with plain water after I got all the goo off. I hope it'll be ok. Goo gone does smell like a petroleum product, so I'm not too surprised that wd40 would work. I'm going to try that next time. Thanks!

lc

I use the hand rubbed method also ..,rub in a circular patern it usually comes of fine..cheaper too ! especially when you get it before it sets too dry.

kodydog

The nice thing about Goo Gone or denatured alcohol is it evaporates incredibly fast, giving less chance to do damage. Like Scotty said, if its just over spray on vinyl it should rub, pick or wipe off without solvent.   
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Miami Mike

We sell a product called Ardex VT6214 It works great. Alot of our auto guys and gals use it wipe on wipe off.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Brian W

Here is the link to 3M's website showing the Genreal Purpose adhesive remover. It works great and very rarely affects the vinyl or even leather (depending on how it's been dyed). Again it is always wise to test on scrap first just to be sure. It can be purchased at most auto parts stores or even hardware stores I believe.

http://3mcollision.com/products/adhesive-products/adhesive-cleaners-and-paint-removers/3m-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner-08984-1-quart-us.html

Miami Mike

THAT IS A GREAT POINT BRIAN W. YES YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TEST A SPOT.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mike8560

The last problem I had with ue was I braved a stay can and thought it ws vin eaner made s nice mess
speaking of WD40 last week I made a jet boats. Ack bench seat. New wood used white phifertex on the bottom before I put the mesh on I wanted to pait the wood black I goofed up and did t paint iit first and put the skin o. The. I decided it should. E black u der the white mesh. So I masked off the vinyl and sprayed the bottom black  let it dry a few mins the stapled the mesh and some hydem.
After I turned it over I saw  some black over spray got on the top.
So I gra. Ed a can of wd40 and it wiped right off.  After I cleaned the sat with vinyl cleaner. 
Turned out re nice