Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:29:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ever wonder how you came to be?

Started by sofadoc, June 08, 2011, 03:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I was going through some old family archives yesterday, and was reminded of how I came to be who I am, what I am, and where I am.
Back in the late 50's, my uncle, in an effort to avoid incarceration, was forced to flee the thriving megapolis of Soperton, Georgia. With the entire family in tow (I was in my mother's belly at the time), we wound up in Houston.
It was there, that he beat up a man outside a bar one night. He didn't stick around long enough to see if he killed him.
So the family quickly moved to Dallas, where I was born, and my grandmother met and married her 3rd husband, who just happened to have a brother-in-law that owned an upholstery shop in Greenville, Tx.
53 years later, here I am.
If my uncle hadn't left a man for dead, I would have grown up somewhere else, married a different woman, and raised a different family.
Would my life have turned out just as good? Possibly. Better? I doubt it.
It's funny how one event so long ago can effect generations to come.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fingers

An interesting perspective.
There was an event in my misspent youth (thirty plus years ago) when local law enforcement chased me and a friend through a patch of woods. Had we been caught it likely would have redirected my future and not for the better. One of those things you look back at and give a chuckle. Guess that made me a scallywag of sorts....
I'll ponder on it all a bit tonight. Thanks for the nudge into the way back machine ;)

gene

A husband and wife were driving home from their 50th wedding anniversary. All their kids and grand kids and great grand kinds were there, along with many other family members and friends.

As the man was driving, his wife noticed that a tear was coming down his face. She asked what he was thinking about.

He said, "I was just thinking about how, 50 years ago, when we got married. Your daddy was the town sheriff, and I had gotten you pregnant. Your daddy told me, with a shot gun in his hand, that if I didn't marry you he would put me in jail for 50 years.

I was thinking that if we hadn't gotten married, I would be a free man today.

gene

Sorry if it's a repost.

It does seem that if the wind blew a different way, we would be very different people than how we are today.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

I wouldn't be here if my wife hadn't taken off I wouldn't have been around my dad who had a accendent and gotton  paralized them started sewing on my moms  who is gones old home machine then tried to redo his boat canvas and started a small shop
that's when I started learning also.   And ended up doing this   

kodydog

My Uncle was an amateur magician in Grand Haven, Michigan. He was also an eagle boyscout and would do shows for the local scout troops in the area. One night he had a show, the next town over, in Holland. He recruited my mom to be his helper. My dad was in the audience and I guess when he saw this beautiful young magicians assistant he fell head over heel in love (moms story any way).

The story goes that a few nights later he paid her a call, and trying his best to be a suave and debonaire teenager, when mom came to the door he greeted her with the few Spanish words he knew. Buenos Tardes. Unknown to him mom took three years of Spanish in high school. Her response sent him for another loop. Two years later they were married.

Interesting thing, my grand father was a wood worker for Herman Miller in Holland Michigan and his brother an upholsterer. Two generations later here I am reupholstering and restoring furniture with no influence from either of them. Just a coincidence?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on June 09, 2011, 08:26:53 pm
Interesting thing, my grand father was a wood worker for Herman Miller in Holland Michigan and his brother an upholsterer. Two generations later here I am reupholstering and restoring furniture with no influence from either of them. Just a coincidence?

I WANTED to be a male stripper, but I failed the written test.

Mojo

Quote from: sofadoc on June 09, 2011, 08:52:48 pm

LOL.................. What a shame. :)

Chris

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on June 09, 2011, 08:52:48 pm

My mom always told me you can be anything you want if you just set your mind to it  :P

sofadoc

Probably a coincidence, but it may suggest a family history of mental instability ;) :D

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on June 10, 2011, 03:01:40 pm
Probably a coincidence, but it may suggest a family history of mental instability ;) :D

Ya, i guess you have to be a little crazy to get in to this biz. Or maybe a glutton for punishment.

Speaking of coincidence, what are the chances an 8 year old orphan from Italy (my wife) would end up in Philadelphia and wind up marring a guy in Florida. And together start an upholstery business??? 

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on June 10, 2011, 04:31:55 pm
Speaking of coincidence, what are the chances an 8 year old orphan from Italy (my wife) would end up in Philadelphia and wind up marring a guy in Florida.

YOU MARRIED AN 8 YEAR OLD??? THAT'S JUST SICK!!! :o

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on June 10, 2011, 04:39:20 pm
YOU MARRIED AN 8 YEAR OLD??? THAT'S JUST SICK!!! :o

OK maybe I should have said, "20 years later". Yeesh! Every things gotta be explained   ???