Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:26:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Happy to be here

Started by mike802, June 06, 2011, 07:29:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

I am very happy to be typing on the forum this morning :D  On Friday we hired a plumber to fix some plumbing that I have been to busy to get to, anyway I ended up having to help.  Everything went well and at the end of the day I was picking up my tools, I bent over to pick up a drill and that was it, it took everything I had just to stand up again.  I ended up spending the weekend in bed, as I laid there and listened to all the Harleys going buy stewing.  I'm still sore today, but at least able to get around relativity pain free. It's amazing how we take the little things for granted until we cant do them.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

fragged8

OOPs ! sorry to hear that, so what did you actually do ?
i'm assuming you slipped a disk in your back ?

I'm getting to that age when i need to have a warm up before i get out
of bed in the mornings hehehhe

Rich

mike802

I think I just pulled a muscle real good.  Funny thing is it didn't bother me at all until I bent over.  The pain is not on my spine, but just to one side, that muscle that runs the length of the spine on each side.  Probably will have a chiropractor check it out just to make sure.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I'm still pretty active for a 37 yaer old guy, doing MMA classes where I help out, and Jujitsu once a week as well.  But, I never hurt my back more than when I was out raking leaves on a chilly fall day, with little more than a t shirt.  I my back was OUT.  I was crawling around the house for a few days, and bending my legs funny just to get into a truck!  Not good for someone who is stuck lifting 70 LBS plus machines around all day.  I remember picking up a machine out of a stand when I thought my back was up to the the task, and was hit with a spasm that made me see a flash of white light for half a second it was so painful.

I feel for you, and nobody knows how debilitating back injuries are until you yourself suffer one.  They SUCK.

If you can, find a good chiropractor.  A good one will help you recover faster, and teach you how to help prevent them fcomingming back.

Mojo

Mike, welcome to the age of old. :)

Sorry your back went out but glad your getting around better. How is the bus project going anyways ?
I apologize as I have lost track of your progress.

Chris

MinUph

Take care of the ol bones and muscles Mike, Tey aint like they were when we were twenty.
  Hope you ge well soon.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Cheryl

Glad to hear you're doing better!  And real sorry you missed a weekend on your bike.   :( 
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

mike802

Thanks everyone, I feel better just from reading your post.  ;D  I don't really feel "old" at 46, but guess I'm getting there.

Greg, you hit the nail right on the head.  I hadn't felt pain that bad since I broke my arm as a kid and yea, getting in and out of the truck was a real treat, because right after, like a real bone head we went to home depot to pick up some cement board, mortar, grout and tile for a new bathroom floor ( against my wife's wishes) . And of course like the manly man that I am, I was not about to let everyone at Home Depot watch me let my wife do all that lifting while I just stood there.  I refused loading help at the check out, but guess I didn't hid it well because they sent someone anyway.  By the time we got home she had to help me to bed.  I also studied Taekwondo for many years and never hurt myself.

Chris:  The latest update is in the green room #6 I believe.  On the opposite wall I had to cut out some rusted frame members and weld in new steel. I am working on the video for that, but have been busy getting the garden in, so it's been on hold for a while.  I should be getting back at it soon, thanks for the warm welcome to old age. >:(  LOL.

Mike:  Say it ant so !  I used to be invincible, or at least I thought so.

Sheryl:  Yea, it was real hard listing to all those guys and gals out there enjoying beautiful riding weather, my wife has been getting so much more riding time in than me, she goes everywhere on her little Rebel, she just loves it.

Grebo

Like Gregg said. Find your self a good chiropractor.
I had a back problem for over 10 years back & forth to the GP, never got anywhere so finally bit the bullet & paid to see a chiro, she spotted the problem on the first visit. Fixed it in a couple.
I had the problem for so long that I must make sure that I don't get a draught near my back. If I do it courses a spason & I need to visit the chiro again, I have been about 5 years now no troubles, but I do look after it now.  ;D

I also learnt not to wait, if you make that visit soon it's much quicker & easier to sort it out.

Suzi

Rickster

OK, I'll jump in here. The warranty runs out at fifty but I know guys in there thirties that have serious issues. Some back injuries don't manifest themselves until the next morning like a sprained ankle. At 55, I was carrying a youngen around on my shoulders and tripped. I caught myself but that was probably it. The next morning I got up leaned over to get my shoes and a nerve pinched in lower back. Felt like a raw 220v cord stuck me. I dropped like a rock. Took all of two weeks in bed before I could walk and drive a little. I could not even climb from the floor into the bed. Never really got back to 100% but I am active and a multi mile walker every day for years and years.

A man has got to know his limititations and those change as you get older. We just don't don't build and retain muscle mass like the kids. Naproxin is the route here. Two pills is the perscription dose. I am not big on any pills but it seems to help when I am in trouble.

Best to you You don't want to go through it again. That muscle pain will diminish over four or five days and you will be back to fun agian.

R

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Grebo on June 07, 2011, 07:45:39 am
Like Gregg said. Find your self a good chiropractor.
Suzi

On my way after work today to see the chiropractor. 

sofadoc

I ordered an electric rotary cutter from Gregg yesterday. 30+ years using scissors has left me with tingly numbness in my right thumb. I hope that I didn't wait too long to do something about it.

If you can throw your back out raking leaves, what chance do I have hauling  sleeper sofas around?

C'mon Mike, you'll do ANYTHING to get out of mowing the grass! ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

A line from one of my favorite poems says, "Give up gracefully the things of youth."

I think this would include picking up sleeper sofas.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

mike802

Sleepers suck!  I try at all cost to leave the bed with the customer.  Feeling much better today, my son wants me to catch the last weekend with him at Americade, I think I will be well enough to ride.

kodydog

Youth is wasted on the young. George Bernard Shaw.

The older I get the more this makes sense.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html