Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:25:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Brother Overlocker

Started by scottymc, May 31, 2011, 07:41:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scottymc

I have just bought a brother overlocker on ebay, bargain $61
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180671299269&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It has the numbers P561202
                               EF4-B561
Have any of you guys got any idea where I could get an instruction booklet , as I have not had alot of experience with overlockers and I have tried googling and have not found anything, it appears to run good just got to figure out how to thread it.

scottymc

I have found a parts manual for it following a link I found from an old thread from Richie, but I still have no idea how to thread it, I phoned a place in the city who said they could order an owners manual for nearly the same as I payed for the machine, so if anyone knows where I could get an owners manual online I'd appreciate it. The actual model number is EF4-B561

bobbin

Scotty, nice score!  Years ago when I was stitching "piece rate" I ran a 5 thread Brother overlock machine.  It was a great machine.  It takes a little practice to get used to them but you will likely come to love your new machine.  Does it have the differential feed capacity?

Your new machine will produce the "serge" stitch I referenced over on the Business forum in reply to DB's query about overlock machines; meaning that the overlock stitch is comprised of 3 threads (1 needle, and two loopers).  The adjustments are color coded; the red tension disc is for the needle thread.  The yellow one is for the "over looper" and the green one is for the "under looper".  "Yellow" is for the sun over your head, "Green" is for the grass under your feet... ;)  .  Usually, the threading diagram is on the lower door that protects and allows you access to the loopers.  On new machines the threading path is usually marked with paint, but perhaps it's worn off your machine. 

You can usually figure out the threading with some patience and common sense.  The basic idea with loopers is to create an unimpeded flow of thread to each looper and if you know you're threading the upper looper the jigs and jogs are usually pretty easy to figure out.  Once you're able to get it threaded correctly the tension adjustments aren't hard, either. 

Make sure you have a set of bent tweezers and a threading wire in your bench drawer.  They're invaluable in threading the machines and until you get the machine adjusted decently you will need them to rethread the loopers.   I warn you, threading with tweezers is fumbly at first but quickly becomes second nature. 

Congratulations, looks like a very nice machine.  :)

scottymc

Thanks Bobbin, I threaded it right first time and it worked like a dream :D. I am rapt. Just got to get a new thread stand, I should come in under a $100 for the lot, ebay works well over here , craiglist has not caught on at all.

fragged8

hiya

I have a 5 thread overlocker but it looks similar to yours
you should be able to find a manual online as a pdf.

if i have one i'll let you know as i'm not sure if theres one
amongst all the rubbish on my server.

scottymc

Thanks Rich, I would appreciate that. It works real well, there is a little door at the back with stuff that can be adjusted but I'm not touching it till I know what it is.(I must be getting old, what happened to adjust first ,then read instructions) ;)