Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:30:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Separating zipper repair

Started by slow96z, May 30, 2011, 03:01:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slow96z

OK, I have a zipper on a bimini top boot that needs repair so I thought I'd ask you guys.  It is a separating zipper and the "Box" and "Pin" are missing.  I have looked on the internet and all I see is to replace the zipper, but I would rather not if I don't have to.  Is there any way that you guys know of to repair this thing?  It will zip together fine, but with no box or pin there is nothing keeping the zipper together at the bottom so it just comes apart.  I thought about sewing a hook and eye on the bottom to hold it together until I want it apart, but if the parts to fix it right are available I'd rather do that.

You guys are awesome!

Peppy

Only way I know of to fix it is to sew a new one on. If you find a 'zipper start making machine' in your search let me know. I'll take 2.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

slow96z

Sew on a whole new zipper or sew on the starting part?  I don't see how that would be possible so I'm sure you meant the whole thing, but had to ask.  Fpr now I just put a safety pin at the start, I'll just undo it when I need to take the cover off.

Mike8560

I k ow the slider and pull or double pull nie a box never heard that I'd the pin is that the male part that inserts I to the slider ? Perhaps the box is the non moving part that the slider rests against ?
You can get just a slider and pulwhat size zipper?

Grebo

Quote from: Peppy on May 30, 2011, 04:28:10 pm
Only way I know of to fix it is to sew a new one on. If you find a 'zipper start making machine' in your search let me know. I'll take 2.

Me two,  ;D

No the darn things are made complete, no way you can weld your own on.  :'(

Suzi

baileyuph

What do you think could have happened to the box and pin?  Strange that both are missing, in my experience with zippers, in general, it would be somewhat difficult to remove those two parts.  By destroying part of the zipper probably.

If you don't want to replace the zipper, then you have cleaverly solved the problem the easy way, the safety pin.

Doyle

RandyOnR3

seen it happen...... when the zipper end is the last part to come apart and there is weight on the bimini. it will snap both the starting box and the pin off the zip, with the pull.. more so if the zip has some age on it, and pieces get brittle.....
   for the amount of time it would take to fix the old, spend the few bucks for the zip and replace it..

Mike8560

teeth are not far behind probly

Jim101

May 31, 2011, 08:34:21 am #8 Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:39:56 am by Jim101
Pop a snap in the bottom of the zipper where the pin would go.  Better yet put a Common Sense fitting in there.  It might even look kinda cool!

Just a thought...

Jim

jsquail

time for a new zipper. its actually a simple job too.  Cut the old teeth off leaving the zipper tape so you know exactly where to place the new one. Sew the new one on over the old zipper tape. To make it easier, get a roll of basting or seam tape in a 1/4" width. Use it to "stick" the new one on. The 5 bucks the tape costs is well worth the headaches it could save you.

/my 2 cents
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

The problemive found just cutting thebteethe off is unless you use a hot knife the tape will unravel and jam in the new zip

Grebo

Quote from: jsquail on May 31, 2011, 05:54:51 pm
time for a new zipper. its actually a simple job too.  Cut the old teeth off leaving the zipper tape so you know exactly where to place the new one. Sew the new one on over the old zipper tape. To make it easier, get a roll of basting or seam tape in a 1/4" width. Use it to "stick" the new one on. The 5 bucks the tape costs is well worth the headaches it could save you.

/my 2 cents

Interesting way of doing it  :D I would never consider leaving the old tape on  ??? All you need to do is mark the start & stop & if replacing only half a zip, zip it on the half that's staying put offer it up to where ever it's going to be sewn on & make a few reference marks.
Unzip & sew.  ;D

Suzi

fragged8

June 03, 2011, 03:36:03 pm #12 Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:40:01 pm by fragged8
hiya

I'm not sure if i get this thread completely but my supplier
does a repair slider.

http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=18060&catref=&InBox=Zipping&cct=0&TypeSearch=&subcat=

Quoteits actually a simple job too.  Cut the old teeth off leaving the zipper tape so you know exactly where to place the new one. Sew the new one on over the old zipper tape

Good god man dont say that, you'll give Randy with the million dollar mentality
a heart attack  :-)
( from a post last week )
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=10111.0

Grebo

Quote from: fragged8 on June 03, 2011, 03:36:03 pm
hiya

I'm not sure if i get this thread completely but my supplier
does a repair slider.

http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=18060&catref=&InBox=Zipping&cct=0&TypeSearch=&subcat=

Read it again Rich  ::) It's the moulded zippy on bits.
Funny enough, I just had a lifejacket with the same problem, the square 'boxy' bit had broken off. I was up for replacing the whole zip but the manufacturer wont can't supply the zip. ( It's got a special opening bit)
So I have to write off the jacket for the sake of a zip.  ???

I was thinking of getting a box of those Zlides but can't imagine anyone paying the cost price for one of them, even compared to replacing a whole zip. I mean you can normally get to the end of it & slide a new slider on & if it's an open ended just shorten it a tad.
Or am I missing something ?

Suzi

JuneC

7 euros for a single #10 zipper pull????!!!!    :o  That's highway robbery.  I can buy a box of 50 for about that much.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields