Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:45:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Questions about machine purchase

Started by slow96z, May 24, 2011, 06:51:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

slow96z

My home machine just doesn't have the guts I need to do my boat project and I found a machine that I'm going to buy at lunch today.  It's a Singer 111W101 with a table.  It is a compound walking foot machine that says it can do light fabric up through heavy leather; sounds like it will work for me.  Any comments or suggestions?  The lady is going to show me some basics and I can test drive it before I buy it.  What kind of money is this machine worth?  She says it's in good condition and the pictures don't look bad, but they are small Craigslist pictures.  She's asking $150 and I told her pending the test drive I'd take it for that.  Good deal?

Jim101

May 24, 2011, 09:29:38 am #1 Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:50:59 am by Jim101
The old Singer 111Wxxx are really decent machines and $150.00 for that machine and table in a good deal.   The table & motor could be worth $150.00 itself.

Some things I would look for are:  

* Check the balance wheel to see if turns easily and smoothy.  If you can feel a "bump" as you turn the wheel there is probably something wrong with the drive assembly.  It also might indicate something broke in between the balance wheel and the needle bar and perhaps may have been either welded and/or bent back into shape.  Either problem could give you trouble down the line.

* Also feel the balance wheel to see if it has a wiggle to it.  If it does it could mean the moving parts are working loose or just plain wearing out.

* Since they're going to let you test drive the machine bring some material with you.  A thick piece of webbing and some leather would work good.   Fold the webbing and leather over itself a few times and run it through the machine.  That machine was designed to sew through several layers of thick material so it shouldn't hurt the machine to do that.  If it won't sew through them, or gives the machine problems getting through the material,  then there could be a problem.  By the way, you'll want to be sure to use a thick thread...  92 to 138 thread would be sufficient.

* Be sure the machine has oil in it.  In fact, if it hasn't been dripping some oil into the drip pan lately it needs oil.  Take a look at the needle bar to see if there is any "bluing" on it, the kind of bluing you might see on a motorcycle exhaust pipe.  It means someone has been running the machine without oil and that's where some of the wiggle / looseness in the balance wheel comes from.   Those machines will run without oil for a long time but will eventually seize or break when they get too hot.  I've seen it happen.  It's not pretty!

*  If you do find some of the things I've mentioned don't disregard the machine entirely.  There are lots of parts around for those old 111WXXX machines and fixing it isn't too much work, at least not for somebody who knows that machine.  I've got an old 31-15 parts machine and some of the parts are interchangeable.  Tons of old 31-15's out there in the sewing world!

Good luck with your purchase!  If its a good running machine it'll give you years of service.  The old Singer machines run better with age... If you keep oil in them!

Jim

kodydog

If your buying it at lunch this may be to late. I've got the 111-154 That I bought in 1987 from my wife's sewing teacher. It will sew vinyl, thick tapestries, and leather no problem. I've had only minor problems with it. I oil the bobbin casing every time I change the bobbin. Just wish it had the reverse bar. At that price you should be able to finish your project and resell it for the same price.

Good luck  :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

slow96z

I did get a chance to test it out and it sewed very well, much quieter than I expected too.  I brought some scrap vinyl with me and it sewed through 6 layers like it was sewing air so I have no fears with this machine.  The butcher block table is in great shape as is the machine.  The manual turn wheel turned smoothly with no "bumps" and no vibrations when turning by hand or sewing.  It also came with a spool of "QTC HIGH-SPEC 8OZ 745Q BONDED NYLON" thread.  Can I use this thread on boat seats?

I'm really happy with the purchase, and since my usual thought process is to never hesitate to buy a tool you need if you can afford it I believe I'll just keep this one after the job is done.

Pics:

6 layers of vinyl:

Thread:

Thanks for the advice on what to look for, I hope this one will suit my needs for years to come.

Mojo

Nylon thread is a no-no for outdoor use. The sun will degrade it in a years time. Use nothing but bonded poly thread or Tenara for outdoor use, especially marine applications.

I would buy a spool of Sunguard 138 and go with that. It has excellent UV ray capabilities and is strong and will hold up well on boat seating. You will have to order this online as I can think of no retail outlets that carry it. It is only $ 10 dollars more then regular bonded poly.

If you want, contact Miami Mike and he will ship you a spool. His cell phone number is: 919-478-3594.

Congrats on the new machine.

Chris

slow96z

I called the local supplier that I have an account with and he has the Sunguard in 4oz spools 90 weight for $12.  I can't find it at any retail place either so I guess I have to take off work a little early and go get some from him.

Mojo

The Sunguard 90 will work. I use 138 which some feel is overkill but, I love overkill..........:) Especially when it costs about the same as underkill. :)

The 90 will work great for your application and the Sunguard is very good thread. I have now standardized on Sunguard and Solarfix. I use 90 Solarfix and Sunguard 138 on all my work now.

Most all the Marine people on here use 90 for marine interiors.

Chris

Jim101

That's a nice machine you got there!

I've seen similar machines around here, Seattle area, sell for $550.00+

Oil the heck out of it!  If it moves - Oil it! 

Congrats on your new machine.

Jim   

sofadoc

Hey slow: I know that you didn't want to break the bank for a one-time project, yet you wanted a machine that will do the job. I think you made a nice find that will satisfy your needs. Happy sewing!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

alge

Quote from: Jim101 on May 24, 2011, 03:29:06 pm
That's a nice machine you got there!

I've seen similar machines around here, Seattle area, sell for $550.00+

Oil the heck out of it!  If it moves - Oil it! 

Congrats on your new machine.

Jim   

I couldn't agree more, i freelance for a guy who has this machine and its greedy also likes a tight leather belt to drive it. Great machine to use, have fun.

slow96z

May 25, 2011, 06:17:40 am #10 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:24:32 am by slow96z
Thanks everybody, I did a cushion last night and couldn't be happier about the way it turned out.  I don't know if it's because I decided to change colors, made more of an effort at a clean pattern or the fact that it was done on the right machine (probably all 3) but I think this one turned out great and I expect they will only get better.  I'm posting pics in my boat project thread so I don't clutter up the forum.

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=10075.0

Jim-  I did oil the heck out of it, used about 1/4 of my new bottle.  I don't know how long it has been since it got oil but it's good to go now.

Thanks again guys, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Mojo

The reason they probably came out good is because your now sewing on a real upholstery machine. :)

A proper machine makes a HUGE difference. Trust me I know ( been there and done that ). The quality of my work went way up after I got my new machine and my level of frustration went way down. :)

Glad things are going well for you.

Chris