Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:42:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

2000 Sebring Convertible Rear Window replacement - glass

Started by baileyuph, May 23, 2011, 05:11:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Customer shattered glass somehow.

Questions:  I haven't seen the car, doesn't it have a headliner to be removed?

How much has to be removed to remove rear window?  Rear seats?  How much of the outside top?

Is this approximately a one day job for someone experienced on older replacements?

Haven't seen the car at this point, customer sent me a picture and glass appears to be scatter everywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Doyle

ncydmn

That is a one day job no problem.  Actually about four hours should do it if you have some experience with convertibles, and don't have to answer the phone or wait on customers!  No rear seat or panel removal.  The well lining removes from the tack strip so it is fairly easy to get to the bolts.  You will have to remove the rear top sail panels from the tack strip and fold them forward over rear bow to get to window curtain if it is a one piece tack strip (just can't remember if it is.)  The headliner may only need to be removed at the rear sail panels.  A couple elastic strips screwed to the tack strip and panel clips with velcro at the quarter window.
       Make sure you find out why the window broke before starting.  These windows don't just break, there is usually a cause.  If it was vandals or an item in the rear storage area, then no problem.  If it broke while lowering there may be a problem with the top frame.  Roy.

baileyuph

Thanks Roy,

Good point about why it broke, it would be a miss step to treat the symptom rather than the cause.

In this case, the cause was something was left in the well.  She feels terrible about the incident.

The technique sounds simular to cars aback to the 60's.  Few changes such as the headliner. 

Looks like we are going to give it a whirl,

Doyle

stitcher_guy

What Roy said. LOL. Other than, those are usually a 5-piece tacking strip (middle bar, then 2 shorties around the corners, and then two side strips). I don't know other's perferences, but I am a fan of EZ-On tops and curtains. They have very accurate markings for positioning the tracking strips that make it much easier (EZ-On always has two lines, one for later model tops and one for early model Sebring tops.). I just put a new on on a 97 Sebring a couple weeks ago as we were redoing it for my niece (I have the ZEEbring on my Facebook page. Zebra interior, including a new zebra headliner in it).