Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 04, 2024, 02:06:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Remaking Canvas

Started by Kathy0701, April 28, 2011, 07:47:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DBR1957

Make a short bow from aluminum that drops into the two outer most rod
holders. This will raise the cover over all the gear and you can fit the top
to the bow and drop to the original snaps at the transom. This will ease
your headache, provide a cleaner finished job, still allow adequate runoff
and protect all of his gear.

I can sketch something up to help you picture it if you want.

Allan

April 30, 2011, 02:41:01 am #16 Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:47:11 am by Allan
My suggestion would be to fit another bow back there to clear all that crap he has across the transom

Allan

Oooops!! didn't see DBR1957's post before I posted  Sorry!!

Mike8560

You might as well make it tall enough to run shade all the wau to the transome while your at it.

Kathy0701

You people are all amazing!  Thanks so much for your help. I think my customer has gone away, but I am learning a lot from this...many creative ways to solve this that I'd never have thought of.  I'll let you know if he decides to go for new. I suspect he's going to look for someone else to re-make his top reusing the old stuff. That's OK.  I wish him the best.   

timbernook

That's a good one Bobbin, "BS detection" I like that I'm going to have to post a sign in the shop of that one. I just heard another good one from a 40 year marine canvas retiree about doing work for (your friends)
"Don't let your friends get in your pockets"
Have a GREAT DAY, I love this board
Lori

stitchm

The awning rail with zipper suggestion is a good one for this application.

All this talk about if a project is worth doing or not and how to not spend too much time dealing with potential clients that never end up becoming clients reminds me of one of my favourite marketing sites, check it out: http://www.winwithoutpitching.com/manifesto