Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 07:41:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New furniture with slip covers

Started by gene, October 25, 2013, 06:39:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I got a few more questions and comments about slip covers.
Maybe you guys can soften my hard stance.

Actually, in the right setting, I think a slip covered sofa looks nice.

Basically, the way I see it, there are 3 types of slip cover:
1) High end....... Fits like skin. At first glance, you can't even tell that it's a slip.
2) Mid-grade...... Fits pretty well. A little loose. But overall, still looks nice.
3) Low end........ Sears catalog. Lots of elastic. One size fits all.

Questions:
When you guys do high end slip covers, are they ever for the main couch that everybody flops on to watch TV? Or usually for a sofa that's made to be looked at more than sat on? Such as a formal living room.

When you make a slip cover for an existing sofa that has corded/boxed cushions, do you remove and save the old cushion covers? Or do you slip right over them (so you can still feel the cording underneath)?

Do you refuse certain pieces that are either too worn out, or at least need internal work?

Comments:

I've stated before that I don't do them. Actually that's not exactly true. I've quoted them lots of times. But when my quote approaches (or surpasses) the cost of a complete re-upholstery job, the customer always aborts.

I got 2 calls this week regarding slip covers. After reading these posts, I decided to feel them out, just to see what they expected for their money.
Deja-vu all over again. One expected to save a lot of money by slip covering. And she wanted something that she could wash every time her sweaty-assed husband came in off the tractor.
One of the calls was from a lady with one of those big fake leather reclining sofa/fold-down console monstrosities. The fake leather was cracking and peeling. She thought she could just slip cover the whole thing for about $100.

Obviously, I'm not playing to the right crowd.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Answers:
1.)  I would say most of the slips. I've done have been for older people and have been for living rooms that are not terribly "formal".  That said, a slip. that fits snugly should be able to withstand "flopping" with minimal primping afterward. 
2.)  I always ask the customer if they plan to remove the existing cushion covers or leave them in place.  I tell them that leaving the existing cushions covers in place can make welting feel bulky under their knees.  I have done both, and my customers haven't been bothered by the "welting build up".
3.)  I always explain that slips. are not a replacement for true upholstery work; they're a different "animal" and give the piece a different "look".  If the piece is in need of structural upholstery work I am the first to tell them they're wasting their money on a slipcover.  If they are trying to cover upholstery that is looking tired and dated I suggest they clean the upholstery "to get the big stuff off" before the slip. goes on.

I also work hard to dispel the myth that slipcovers are cheap.  They are if a "Surdon'tfit" is purchased, but that's not my game.  I explain the fabric requirements and the basic process required to make nice looking slipcover.  Older customers seem more able to wrap their heads around craftsmanship and what "custom" means.  They also remember slips. that fit and looked great in the homes of their childhood.  I'm discovering that quality slipcover work speaks for itself, and the word gets around... albeit slowly.  ;)

gene

October 30, 2013, 04:47:34 pm #17 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:06:07 pm by gene
FABRIC: I always tell folks to use fabric similar to blue jean fabric. A cotton blend is great. I do not want fabrics made for draperies, such as 100% polyester. If the fabric is stiff and rigid it will not lay well on the furniture.

QuoteWhen you guys do high end slip covers, are they ever for the main couch that everybody flops on to watch TV? Or usually for a sofa that's made to be looked at more than sat on? Such as a formal living room.

Both. I've done formal living rooms where folks occasionally use the furniture. I've done furniture where the kids will be living on it and the parents want to keep the upholstered fabric looking good for when the kids grow up and leave the nest.

QuoteWhen you make a slip cover for an existing sofa that has corded/boxed cushions, do you remove and save the old cushion covers? Or do you slip right over them (so you can still feel the cording underneath)?

Both. I prefer and recommend that the existing cover be taken off. But, sometimes folks want to keep the existing covers on. It makes no difference to me in making the covers, other than I think it looks better with the old covers off.

QuoteDo you refuse certain pieces that are either too worn out, or at least need internal work?

I've never been in this situation, but I think that is a great point: refuse to do it or charge for fixing what needs to be fixed.

I have chosen not to make slipcovers for a few items. One I remember had an exposed decorative wood frame around the top and back of the chair in such a way that a slipcover would have looked really weird.

In general, the general public goes online and finds a sofa slipcover price of $119.99. They think that they can get the same price, or cheaper, locally, and save on shipping charges, then pay in cash to avoid sales tax. They think they will be getting a brand new sofa for $119.99.

They did not bother to check if this price includes the 3 seat cushion covers, the 3 back cushion covers, AND THE FABRIC!!! If it did include the fabric, what kind of fabric is it???

These people are not just looking to get something for nothing. They are looking for confirmation as a human being. They are looking to prove that they are wise, clever, and are able to deal with the vagaries of life. They are looking for love.

So, they call me and ask for a price on a sofa slipcover. I'm always happy to give a price on anything. This is sometimes the first step in getting a new customer. A few times, giving someone a price was the first step in eventually gaining a new friend.

My first question is: How many seat cushions and how many back cushions does your sofa have?

When they say "What difference does that make?", I know 4 things:
1. They have an internet price and are shopping for a better deal.
2. There is nothing I will be able to do for them.
3. The only thing they can do for me is to waste my time.
4. They ain't gettin' no love from me.

I immediately give them a price assuming that they have 3 seat and 3 back cushions, 4 toss pillows to be made out of the same fabric, and 3 sets of arm guards because their kids/ grandkids eat Cheetos while watching TV and use the sofa as their personal napkin.

Before they can tell me my price is outrageous, I clarify that my price is for labor only. It does not include the 23 yards of fabric you will need, nor any prep work for the sofa, such as vacuuming or cleaning, and if they cannot bring their sofa to my studio I will gladly pick it up for a nominal fee.

On rare occasional Mr./Ms. General Public will thank me for my time and hang up. Usually they will say something condescending or obnoxious to let me know that they do not appreciate me wasting their time, then they will hang up. (Yes, I know they called me, but let's not let facts interfere with the issues.)

Why use slipcovers:
1. You can save money, even on high end ones.
2. You want to save the fabric already on the furniture. Many reasons for this: sentimental, may go back to those colors in the future, you use the slipcover half the year for those colors and the upholstered fabric the other half, you want to protect the upholstered fabric, etc.
3. You like the look of slipcovers.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Dede

October 30, 2013, 05:42:24 pm #18 Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:56:27 pm by Dede
Quote from: bobbin on October 29, 2013, 01:18:44 pm
Dede, I did the "hover thing" and didn't pick up Velcro on the arm chair... where were you looking?

Every "factory" slipcover I've seen (except IKEA, and granted my sample size is small) has Velcro under the arms.  Maybe more upscale furniture/slipcover combinations don't have it.  I know my mom's loveseat does.  I have been known *ahem* to um... take a quick look at the furniture store samples (yeah, my kids just love that...).
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

bobbin

Great replies.  Dede, thanks for the explanation, I've only encountered zippers on the outside backs (usually very lightweight coil or "invisible zippers").  I will have to be more observant the next time I'm in a furniture store (which isn't very often!). 

Like Gene, when asked for a "ballpark" price on a basic sofa I give a price based on the number of cushion covers required.  If the person is unable to provide the number I always figure on 6, as well.  And I tell them I will "firm up the price" when I see the piece.  I, too, encounter a good deal of "sticker shock", and I understand that. 

My theory is that we live in a time when many people really have no real idea how to make things or perform basic construction/repair work.  I can't tell you the number of people I encounter who have no idea at all how to approach a basic repair on marine canvas or even clothing.  If there is a tear or a hole they think you slap a patch on it and that's it.  There is no understanding that frequently you have to undo seams before "patching" and then those seams have to be resewn.  The notion that any forensic analysis to identify the source of the wear/failure is important escapes them entirely.  I find that making the time to explain why it costs more goes a very long way in building customer confidence and it's remembered.  Most of my customers come back because I've made the time to speak with them about the work; maybe this goes back to Gene's theory on validation?