Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 12:06:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to remove, pine resin from windows ?

Started by Grebo, June 23, 2012, 12:03:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Hi, I have gone & bought another trailer tent ( pop up) .
I went out to buy a camping fridge & this guy happened to have a TT almost identical to the one I already have but a good few years younger & he didn't want much for it.
Hmm, expensive fridge eh !
Well........
Now I have had a good look at it I find it has been pitched under some pines & got resin on half of the awning roof & somehow on most of the awning windows !
I have brushed, vacuumed & scrapped most of it off the tencate canvas roof. At least it doesn't leak.
But not sure how to attack the windows, they are made from a clear 'vinyl' that is so much thinner than anything we use on the boats.
Any suggestions that wont melt the windows.

Just for Gene  ;D

Suzi

Peppy

A trick to getting pine sap off your hands is to rub with butter or olive oil. It rubs off the sap then soap and water do the rest. I don't know if it'd work on windows.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

kodydog

Lighter fluid is a cheap fix for anything sticky.

I don't think it will harm the plastic windows. (totally wrong face for Gene  :o)

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

CKKC

The hand cleaner "Goop" will take a lot of stuff off without scratching!

Grebo

June 25, 2012, 12:57:39 am #4 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:59:03 am by Grebo
Thanks, will give olive oil, soap & water a try first, lighter fluid last I think.
Haven't got 'Goop' is swarfega the same thing ?

T'anks.

Suzi

ajlelectronics

Try Vodka! seriously. Otherwise, wander into a body shop and get some pre-paint wipe. There are two types, spirit based and alcohol based. Hed some of each. Use the spirit one first, then clean up with the alcohol one.

CKKC

Quote from: Grebo on June 25, 2012, 12:57:39 am
Thanks, will give olive oil, soap & water a try first, lighter fluid last I think.

T'anks.

Suzi

I've no idea what swarfega is!!    Goop is the hand cleaner used by mechanics to
cut the grease and oil off their hands. 

Carol

Grebo

Quote from: CKKC on June 25, 2012, 05:48:59 am

T'anks.

Suzi

I've no idea what swarfega is!!    Goop is the hand cleaner used by mechanics to

Carol

Yes so is this, sort of thick green gooey jelly stuff ?

Suzi

SHHR

Since this topic came up, How about pine sap from fabric. We have a line of pines that surround our property. My daughter went outside and set under one to read for a while then came in and plopped down on the couch to leave a big gob of resin on the cusion. My wife removed the cover to wash before asking me and it's still there, just not as noticable.
Kyle

CKKC

Quote from: Grebo on June 25, 2012, 08:32:54 am
Quote from: CKKC on June 25, 2012, 05:48:59 am

T'anks.

Suzi

Carol

Yes so is this, sort of thick green gooey jelly stuff ?

Suzi

Goop is white but I have seen other colors.   That is pretty much the description!

byhammerandhand

June 25, 2012, 06:03:33 pm #10 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:05:18 pm by byhammerandhand
Goop is one of the various emulsified or gelled solvents (d-Limonene and/or mineral spirits)

http://goophandcleaner.com/  

not to be confused with "The Amazing GOOP" that is a gelled contact cement.

Very similar is Go-Jo
http://www.gojo.com/united-states/productsearch.aspx?cpn={C28D86C6-DBB7-41E4-91DF-FE911E7BB7C1}

(when I was in high school, I used to degrease executive jets with this stuff)

or Fast Orange
http://www.permatex.com/brand_fast_orange.htm

Just don't get the formulations with pumice in them -- too abrasive.

FWIW, many restorers use GoJo or Goop to do a quick clean up of wood,  Work it in with a rag, let sit a minute, wipe off with a clean rag.   The oil that remains is similar to furniture polish.

GooGone is a bit stronger solvent, I use it to clean off adhesive residues.

Goof-Off is xylene and even stronger.  May damage some finishes or paints.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Grebo

Grebo

UPDATE.
I had great results with Eliminador de adhesives from Auto Glym.

Suzi