Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 30, 2024, 03:32:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Salesman disguised as a customer

Started by SHHR, September 06, 2011, 04:42:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

Reading all of these comments got me thinking even more (yes it hurt ;D). Anyway I made an evening trip to Kroger last night and picked up a few items for my wife. First thing I did was look at the cart and yes a small billboard was there. I honestly never noticed them before now. One thing the salesman was pushing (and yes Chris, you're right he was just reading from a script) was the fact that a chart was on the ad that told which aisle was your basic need items and that alone forced you to look at the ad. MY PROBLEM WITH THAT PHILOSOPHY; 1. There are already signs hanging above each aisle stating what's there and I'm more apt to look at those (like I said, I never noticed the cart ads before), 2. A frequent shopper already knows the layout of the store and doesn't need those charts, 3. Our store on occasion has moved aisles around frequently (which I suspect is a marketing ploy in itself to keep customers looking for items in essence forcing them to see other items they may never regularly buy) and I deliberately looked at the aisle marker on the cart then, the aisle didn't match up with the ad.
Another thing: women coming in shopping, first probably don't care about the ads either, but placing their purse, a child, or items they're purchasing in that top basket blocks the ads off altogether. and the other customers are walking around the store talking or texting not paying attention.
One other thing too; It's been raining here for a few days now. The ads in the frame on the basket were wet and although still legible they were wrinkled up. Not very Professional looking.
A marketer I spoke to once at a business incubator told me once that for the most part Billboards, newspaper ads, radio ads are pretty much useless for the small businesses out there.
Kyle