Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 11:27:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is There Such A Thing As Too Tight?

Started by jojo, July 28, 2011, 05:21:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

I use Recacril for cockpit covers. Here's the latest one I did.

Have not heard anything about stretch or pooling. I would like to use it on an enclosure again, but not having any stretch makes me nervous.
Regal Canvas

Can-Vas

I have to agree with Mike regarding tight and windows.
I usually tend to just pull snug when installing canvas covers and find they will shrink into fit. - but vinyl windows, especially where they curve around the corners has always been a bit of a problem for me.
Perhaps the subject of a new thread - how do you get snug, curved strataglass windows with no ripples??   ;D
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Mike8560

August 08, 2011, 10:26:05 am #17 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:00:36 am by Mike8560
Have You tried 60g stRataglass Howard ?
Mon my bay I used 40g but on the two front  corners I used 60g
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/BLue%20Dolphin%201/100_1866.jpg

Darren Henry

QuoteFor me, same a s Suzi. Most of my customers do not want to fight their canvas.

Me three. Stand on a dock at half past October ,in the snow and sleet trying  (with three grown men) to get the boat closed up to go close the last camp for the season.It needs to be user friendly otherwise the user "horses" the thing and then blames your workmanship/material when he rips it, or flies 40 MPH down lake with it flapping and it frays.

Another consideration is the way you finish your edges. If you are sewing a length of poly web on the back side and acrylic binding on the edge (which is/was the norm in NW Ontario) the top will shrink over time. Some members say there is less of that if you use the same material to back up your snaps, personally I think there is still some .

It is much easier and prettier to move a snap in a bit than to add to the hem and let it out.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jojo

Yikes Darren, that's exactly how I finish my edges. Fingers crossed that the customer doesn't end up cussing me out. I did pull tight, but not as tight as I could have.

Mike8560

e alway did it like that Darren with 1" polywevbibg as that is how I see it done on new oems manly and ones i was  replacing.  It was   Cheaper  and faster.

Do you cut strips of matching canvas.   For me that would be slow
at times Ive installed a snP a bit to tight.  I like them to where I can snap it onehanded
anyway if it's tight I'll snap it them pull to streCh  rhe canvas  as it is alsways looser later anyway   
I used to hate it when I'd make a nice fitting aft curtian.  The piece behind that zips to the top then snaps to the transome. Anyway I'd be done and the angle was perfect no sag or rinkles Rhenish a few months later the aft curtian was drooping a bit. Saggy with wrinkles   Now Incan rember the last time I made a aft curtian here.