Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 07:02:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Cushions

Started by Allan, December 16, 2010, 01:55:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Not being a cushion person I have a question

I am building a couple of cushions for the flybridge of my boat and they will be out in the weather all the time however under the bimini.

I am covering them in Sunbrella canvas
The foam is high density foam that will allow the water to flow straight through

Question
If I cover the whole cushion in Sunbrella will that retain water?? or
Should I put Textaline on the bottom of the cushion to allow drainage and ventilation??

Allan

Mojo

I put Textilene on mine Allan. I believe it will help drainage ads well as allow the cushion to breathe.

But then I am not a cushion guy either. But that textilene sure gave me a warm and fuzzy and I have so many scraps around I thought I would use it. :)

Chris

TimsTrim

Alan, if you can do without reversible cushions, I'd highly recommend a bottom that lets moisture out. Sunbrella is water resistant but not water proof. If water stands on it it will go thru eventually, and then you want to make sure the water can get out.

JuneC

Like the others say - use mesh.  Even with vinyl covers which IS waterproof, the foam will find a way to get wet. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

If t was me I'd use mesh on he bottom.
I've done total cushion with mesh and dryfast. / ez dry foam  open cell.

Allan

Thanks all

Just confirmed what I thought

Allan