Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:28:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

metal tack strips

Started by seatbuilder, February 24, 2014, 09:41:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

seatbuilder

February 24, 2014, 09:41:25 am Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:51:31 am by seatbuilder
Hi everyone. I have a pile of metal tack strip pieces, I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way of attaching two or more pieces together so they don't have to be thrown away? I find limited opportunity to use these small strips.

On another note. I ran out of plastic covers for these strips and didn't have time to wait for delivery. I put 1" masking tape on the back and folded it over. Lies flatter than with the plastic and leaves no raised marks.

Seatmaker

sofadoc

I was going to say that I use the plastic sleeves to join small pieces together. But other than that, I don't know of any way to join them.

I usually throw small pieces into a box, and use them on short runs when I can. Sometimes you can staple them to the back of a wood, or covered panel.

Something else I do. When I break off a metal nailstrip, it leaves a sharp edge. I use the grinding wheel to smooth it off. This way, I can use it without a sleeve if I need to.

I've done the masking tape thing a lot. Sometimes, the plastic sleeve is too thick for certain areas.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

seatbuilder

Thanks. I think I will try epoxy and a splint. Sounds weird but Industrial plastics says it will work.
I never thought of using the plastic cover to hold them together. I will give it try.

scott_san_diego

I have used a cardboard strip to go on top of the metal tack strip with masking tape to hold it in place.  Works great.

MinUph

You can also just place them together and use it that way. As long as they are in line it works fine. I find the plastic covers are thick but I do use them in Florida fearing rust. Never used them up north though. With the plastic sleeves it is easy to add like Sofa says.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteWhen I break off a metal nailstrip, it leaves a sharp edge

I was taught (and therefore have always) cut mine with tin snips. If you have the points facing past the bottom jaw the top side will be burr free. I have on occasion nipped the corners off after a cut to avoid a sharp corner.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Save them. Some day you will get a job that will require a whole bunch of short tack strips.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

4 tacks or less i throw away. I stack them in the plastic to use them up.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website