Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 07:03:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Angle Binder

Started by jsquail, September 14, 2011, 11:20:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Quote from: bobbin on September 21, 2011, 02:32:20 pm

It looks to me as though the stitching is very close to centre of the binding in jsquail's shots.  I immediately wondered if the stitching allowed the raw edge of the glued and folded allowance of the binding to be visible outside the stitching.  I can't tell from the pictures.  (a "no-no"). 

First thing i checked. its right on the edge of the raw edge. I did have to adjust mine over a bit to get it to hit that edge.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JuneC

Was the binder designed for 3/4" binding and you ran 1" through it?  That would explain why the stitching is so close to center.  I like to stitch very close to the edge - it makes a neater finish and encloses more of the raw edge.  Unfortunately, this also leads to occasional stitching off the binding.   

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jsquail

September 22, 2011, 03:23:55 am #17 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:29:34 am by jsquail
that was 1 inch binding and a 1 inch binder.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on September 21, 2011, 02:32:20 pm
I know (from past experience) the right angle binder is the solution to curves but I'll be damned if I can get mine to work properly!  I have to box it up and send it back to you, Gregg. 

I won't know if you don't tell me!@#

Send it back with a few yards (inches!) of binding, let me see a sewn sample to the best of your ability with what you have, and ship it off.  Don't forget to include your contact information; I get on a good day two or three samples, and I am often left playing a guessing game who sent me what until the customer calls days later asking if I got thier stuff!   Thanks!

bobbin

Gregg, I have this "thing" about admitting I'm "stumped".  ;)  I've been sewing professionally for over 30 yrs. now and have used lots of different machines and attachments and have learned that sometimes you simply have to put in some "frustration" time and burn some mental wood to figure out a solution, so admitting "defeat" is not something that comes easily to me, lol.  I've simply put off sending the binder back to you because I figured I'd find the solution on my own.  Also, I haven't had a job that required using it so getting it all squared away wasn't that pressing. 

June, on custom binders you can't run binding that is wider than the specified width of the attachment because it won't fit through the folder.  So, a 3/4" binder won't accept 1" binding, and a 1" binder won't accept 1 1/4" binding.  Using 3/4" binding in a 1" folder means that the binding will "wander" and trying to get the stitching to catch uniformly on all aspects of a curve is nigh on impossible.