Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 09:21:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

duct tape glue on boat cover

Started by cthomps, August 05, 2011, 05:47:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Good morning.  I just took in a small canvas boat cover for restitch.  The guy was in Canada when it all pulled apart.  He duct taped all the seams together, which in turn were exposed to the sun on the trip back.  Is there any way to remove the sticky stuff?  I haven't removed the tape yet, but there is alot of it, and I'm not sure if I will be able to sew through the glue it if I do.  Thanks Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

SHHR

I just repaired a bad install on a convertible top for a kid with an "expert" friend who thought he could do it. As a result the top looked horrible and leaked even worse. Anyway the kid must've been related to Red Green because he sealed all around the top with duct tape to keep the water out. It left a terrible residue on it.

I started cleaning it with mineral spirits with decent results. The mineral spirits won't melt the polyester material like laquer thinner would. While at Lowe's I saw a product called Goof Off located in the paint department and that took the glue off even better with no damage to the material. What ever you use just test a small area first to see if it affects the material.
Kyle

needles eye

cthomps

Thanks.  I happen to have both of your suggestions on hand.  Just wondering if they sell it in gallons? :D
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Mojo

WD-40 or Goo Gone ( Goo off ).

If that doesn't work, set it on fire. :)

Chris

Peppy

August 05, 2011, 02:50:45 pm #5 Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:52:11 pm by Peppy
When I'm trying to strip or loosen gunk or whatever, I put paper towels on it then saturate them with my solvent and cover it with plastic to stop it from evaporating. Then you can let it soften up before you attack it.

But I like Mojo's suggestion-

http://youtu.be/Dyh5v_GizaY
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

byhammerandhand

I learned when I first started cleaning the four factors of cleaning - TACT
T - Time, dwell time of the cleaner on the area,
A - Agitation, elbow grease in rubbing or scrubbing
C - Chemical, get the right cleaner for the stain / soiling / residue
T -  Temperature, usually the warmer, the better

The first rule is the less of one of these, the more you need of the others to get the same results.

I'd go with a strong solvent and less agitation.

Goo-Gone and Goof-Off are quite different products, though often confused.   Goof-Off is quite a bit stronger.

Hydrocarbon solvency is measured by K-B (Kauri-Butanol) value.   Mineral spirits is quite low, the solvents in Goof-Off a bit higher.   While it really requires testing prior to use, I've souped up a solvent mix by adding about 1 part lacquer thinner to 4 parts mineral spirits.   I cannot caution enough to test this prior to use, especially if you are going to let it sit a while to soften up the goo (the first "T").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauri-butanol
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison