Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:10:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What I saw today.

Started by Grebo, June 16, 2011, 08:04:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Should we start calling you Darren Wiener?  Lol.  Oh yeah... you need to send lewd picture of yourself for that... (spare us, willya?)

Warships were built to sustain the "kick" a full volley of cannon fire delivered in battle, they were never built for speed, stability was the name of their game.  I grew up not far from Boston, MA. and visits to the USS Constitution were part of school "field trips", but the best visit to her was with my Dad.  I was about 10 and it was pouring rain.  The ship was basically deserted save the docents, and we spent several hours exploring the ship and talking with the guides.  Because we were the only people below decks I was allowed to get into one of sailor's hammocks and learned that they slept with a cannonball to keep the hammock from swaying too much in rough seas.  It was so much fun, and I learned so much; I'll never forget that day.    Dad was Navy man and he was all over anything that had to do with history, throw in maritime history and it was a guaranteed great time. 

JuneC

Quote from: bobbin on June 19, 2011, 09:05:18 am
Warships were built to sustain the "kick" a full volley of cannon fire delivered in battle, they were never built for speed, stability was the name of their game.   

I never thought of that.  Though it makes perfect sense and I should have as the very first time I went hunting with my cousins as a young teenager, the kick of a small shotgun put me right on my back and they were all rolling on the ground laughing at me.  :-[  Oh well, live and learn.  It's an interesting perspective you have.  I'd love to tour the NE and the shipyards there.  So much history...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Suzi,

This is interesting stuff, are these restored ships?  There must be some very interesting history surrounding this type of vessel regardless of classification (restored or replica).

I can just see the rigors of ship applications of those days which must be somewhere over 200 years ago.  Those ship people were real men!   :)

Enjoyed the review.

Doyle

Grebo

June 20, 2011, 01:36:59 am #18 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:58:16 am by Grebo
OK Guys, here we go.
After asking about most people said, what ship  :'(

She is a full size replica of the Santisima Trinidad, normally a floating restaurant in Malaga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_ship_Nuestra_Se%C3%B1ora_de_la_Sant%C3%ADsima_Trinidad_(1769)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcioles/148788562/

I couldn't find a decent video on u tube but here's one to give you a better view.

This is just sad.
http://www.raymaespectaculos.com/barco-discoteca-el-trinidad.html

Suzi

Darren Henry

Quotethe very first time I went hunting with my cousins as a young teenager, the kick of a small shotgun put me right on my back and they were all rolling on the ground laughing at me.

Laughin' with 'Ya gal; been there done that,got the tee shirt.

When I was about 10 or 12 I helped dad tear down an old barn to build our cottage. The guy who had been renting the farm left an ice cream pail of reloaded 12 gauge shells behind , and getting to blow them off at a tobacco can was my "pay". I spotted one that was a 3 " and told Dad we couldn't use it as his was a 2 3/4" chamber. He put a tape measure on it and assured me it was now a 2 3/4. Wrong. A 3" is only 2 3/4 when crimped shut. He was quite impressed that A) I stood in and took what I knew was coming and that B) as I was getting spun 180 º I had the muzzle pointed in the air and the action open as we passed him. ( he was standing beside me ,of course, I was just a kid)

I never did get much bigger and entertained the entire regiment every year at small arms qualifications. While I did well with the C1 (semi auto personal weapon) the C2 ( full auto capable section weapon) in bursts would skid me off the firing line even prone. The Canadian army has some safety concerns about one soldier firing an automatic weapon from behind his colleges; so it was just assumed that when I was firing one of the DS (directing staff) would have to stand with one foot planted behind mine as an anchor. LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

PDQ

November 13, 2011, 03:57:51 pm #20 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:59:21 pm by PDQ
Quote from: Grebo on June 16, 2011, 08:04:38 am

Camera on full zoom, I know nothing about it but will ask about.

Suzi

SNAP!! :)
Took a few days off and visited Malaga last Feb. It took a while but we manged to find a way into the dockyard without being stopped.  :P

Grebo

She has since been moved into the main marina & parked up outside the hotels.
I would imagine with all the effort it took to get her there that she will be here for a while yet.

Suzi