Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 11:34:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What I saw today.

Started by Grebo, June 16, 2011, 08:04:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Camera on full zoom, I know nothing about it but will ask about.

Suzi

kodydog

Shiver me timbers she be lookin a worthy ship matey, Aye.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

scottymc

Could be an old slave ship, or maybe cattle?

bobbin

It's a warship.  Look at all the ports for cannon. 

We need details, Grebo!

CKKC

It is a beautiful ship!   I tried to find out something about it but came up blank.  I hope Grebo will
go visit the ship and ask her name and heritage!!
I would love to know about it.

gene

June 16, 2011, 03:44:14 pm #6 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:50:17 pm by gene
Wow. Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

I love these old ships. I find it fascinating that they were sailed all around the world - totally dependent on the wind.

It was discovered in the 1600's that citrus fruit prevented scurvy among sailors. It wasn't until the 1800's that citrus fruit was provided to sailors - almost 200 years later. Why? It was cheaper to get new sailors than to provide citrus fruit.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fragged8

Wow Suzi thats wikid  :o

I love tall ships, a few years ago I was crew on the
Endeavour replica from Great Yarmouth to Boston. UK.

She was the ship Captain Cook sailed to Australia
and my wife is related to one of the first convicts deported
to Australia.

Rich

bobbin

It was the British navy that first ensured their ships carried adequate supplies of limes (they keep longer than other citrus varieties)... hence the moniker, "limey". 

If you ever want a fascinating read check "Longitude" by Dava Sobel (I think) out of the library.  A&E made a movie out of the story... the true story of a country clock maker's 50 yr. quest to earn the reward put up by Queen Anne to discover a practical way to calculate longitude.  Time is the key ingredient that permits accurate navigation when combine with latitude.  It's a great story and the original sea clocks are on exhibit at the maritime museum in Greenwich, England.  I plan to visit that museum when I'm in England this summer!!

No wonder the Brits ruled the seas; it started with Frobisher and Sir Francis Drake in mid 16th. century and continued unabated until the mid- 20th. century. 

Mike8560

Cool  reminds me of old Ironsides.  The uss constitution   The oldest commishioned ship in the us navy they turn her around each year in Boston harbor perhaps tou saw her rich when you crewed?

fragged8

hiya

When i said Boston Mike I meant Boston in the UK heheh only a weekend trip :-)

I have seen photos of the USS Constitution being moved though, i was amazed that she moves at all. Our most famous capital ship the HMS Victory is dry docked permanently as it's so old and valuable.

Bobbin, there is a TV series called Longitude which was aired in the UK a year or two ago, it was fascinating
http://www.amazon.com/Longitude-Jonathan-Coy/dp/B00004U2K1

bobbin

Rich, that's the one! we have it on DVD and every single person I've loaned it to has just loved it.  Fabulous story, and it's true that fact is stranger than fiction.  I can't wait to see the sea clocks at Greenwich. 

They spent a ton of money refurbishing the USS Constitution (I know a couple of guys who worked on it) and I have to say I was thoroughly irritated that after restoring it to sailing condition they never -uckin' sailed the damn thing!  Oh yeah, they hoisted the sails, but they never loosed the tow rope.  I know, I know... it's the oldest commissioned warship in the United States Navy, an "icon" and all that jazz, but what's the point in a complete restoration if it's never going to do what it was designed to do in the first place?  I'm not saying they should take it on a world tour, but for Pete's sake, how about actually saililng it on a picture perfect, fair weather day?  Bring the boys at the Maine Maritime Academy down and let them have at it.  It's not like they don't know how to handle a sailing ship...  if it goes to the bottom She'll at least die doing what she was designed to do. 

Mike8560

Gee Rich you got a Boston uk too ? ;)

fragged8

square riggers are impressive under sail but i could just imagine the Constitution
would be an awesome sight under her own power.

I can tell you it's a scary place to be up the mast though, and when they
do the displays with all the sailors in the rigging I'd pay a years wages
not to be the button boy.
The one who stands on the very tip of the mast  EEEEK!

Mike  hehe cheeky ..

Darren Henry

O  :o M  :o G  :o

I think I want to touch myself inappropriately  :-[ The only thing sexier than a wooden ship is a tall ship. Near the very top of my "bucket list" is to make it to Halifax N.S for the tall ship convention they have every couple of years.

What strikes me about this one is her size and the relatively small amount of masts and sails. Our tall ships where all built for speed as they where competing for fish stocks on the Grand Banks and the first one in and back earned the most $$.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!