Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 05:14:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staple Woes

Started by jojo, February 28, 2013, 11:51:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So, I'm recovering jetski seats, and the seat is made out of hard black plastic. When I try to staple the cover to the plastic, the staples rumple, like this:

I've tried to turn the pressure on the compressor up, and then down low, nothing helps. Is it my gun?? I've stapled through plastics before with no problem, and when I test the gun on wood it's fine.
Also, the original cover was stapled on.
What gives?

sofadoc

February 28, 2013, 12:24:14 pm #1 Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:56:40 pm by sofadoc
Those staples look kinda long. Are you hitting metal underneath the hard plastic? Could you drive the staples at an angle?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

Hi Sofadoc, thanks for responding. The staples are 3/8" long, the plastic seems to be 3/4" thick...It doesn't seem like there's metal in there, although I guess it's possible.
My gun is crappy; I had to get a Harbor Freight gun for an emergency substitute when my Bea gun kicked the bucket, and never got around to getting a good one. But it's been fine for the last year or so, and like I said, works fine on wood. The original staples on the seat were thinner than mine (I'm using t-50).

Mojo

What is your pressure set at JoJo ?

timtheboatguy

I was having the same problem a while back and I switched to the gun that is sold on this website. It uses 22gauge 3/8 crown staples. I never use the T-50 anymore and seldom have any staple problems. Those little fine wire 22 gauge staples work much better in plastic than the T-50's and they are cheaper too.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Darren Henry

I'm with Tim on that. T-50's just can't compete with fine wire staples.

Short of getting (borrowing ??) a fine wire stapler, the only thing I can think of is to try heating the plastic pan and seeing if it will then accept the wide staples.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I use fine wire SS shoot fine in the last waverunner seat I did 3/8"from Miami in my rainco
shot  fine in the last waverunner seat I did.

MinUph

You might try pressing harder on against the plastic so the gun won't pop off it when shot. This helps when a material is very hard. Might just be the staples like all other comments but its worth a try. Press real hard
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

Well, I just ordered the EZE TC 08 staple gun and some 22 gauge staples. (probably should have a backup gun anyway). We'll see how it goes next week. Thanks for your help guys.

scarab29

Been there done that , 71 series fine wire only for the dense abs plastic. t50 is a joke and 1/2 is the same . need the fine wire for sure.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

jsquail

I did three jet ski seats this past summer and used the Harbor frieght 20 gauge staple gun and stainless steal staples from Manart. I had no issues stapling the vinyl to the plastic. I did use 3/8" stainless staples. I had my air pressure regulated at about 80 PSI. That gun sucks, no doubt, but I had limited issues with it. I did notice that I would get the same staple issue that you have when i didnt hold the gun tight to the plastic.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

jojo

Js, maybe the difference is stainless staples? Because I tried leaning on the gun too. Nothing worked. Seemed like the harder I pushed, the more wrinkled the staple was. I was using galvanized though.

jsquail

Quite possible. I'm no metallurgist, but stainless steel is a very hard metal. However, it is also more brittle than regular steel. Since galvanization is nothing more than a coating to steel or iron I would be willing to bet the stainless staples would drive right into the plastic. Personally, no matter the application of the water craft, I only use stainless. Galvanized will eventually rust because the zinc coating will wear off.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike

I use fine wire stainless. is seems it would be hard for a fat staple to penetrate a hard surface therefore bend staples.

Peppy

When my fine wire gun has problems shooting through stuff I use the fatter 'gimp' gun. I was using it today to shoot into a formed fiberglass back rest. I'd have to look to tell the gauge (18?) I think it's 3/16" crown? The legs are way thicker then the fine wire staple. I think the beefier leg has the power to get through whereas the thin legs just tie knots in the fabric.

We use galvo not ss.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠