Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:28:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staple Woes

Started by jojo, February 28, 2013, 11:51:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

QuoteWe use galvo not ss.

Same over here on the prairies. But we're alot drier than the coast or
Florida etc...

Galvo would probably be alright for Pennsylvania.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

When i forst stared this i saw boat seats in new hampshire thet hadnt used stainless on creshwater bosts removing the skins was easy sll the staples were toast and only the shapes of the vinyl trained crom years inplace helt them onto the seats. 

Darren Henry

I've seen that here too Mike; but as you said by then the vinyl was pooched as well.I can't recall having to re-staple a "good" skin because the staples failed too soon. I have seen some where the staples and skins were okay but the wood had rotted.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jojo

So I got my new gun and some 22 gauge fine wire staples and still, wrinkled staples. But at least these ones are staying in, even if they are ugly, so I'm just going to use them.  :::::Sigh::::

scarab29

March 13, 2013, 12:13:44 pm #19 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:18:18 pm by scarab29
What did you get JoJo? Send me a link if possible.
Here is a link to the one I have and use on the very dense plastics.   http://www.duboisfabrics.com/product_p/stapler-eze.htm
here are the staples
http://www.duboisfabrics.com/product_p/staples_bea_71-fslash-12ss.htm
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

jojo

Yes, that is the exact gun I have! But my staples aren't stainless; that's got to be the problem, I guess. They are 3/8". Do they need to be longer? or shorter?

jsquail

I re-upholstered the Captains chair on my Baha Cruiser over the summer. I used 3/4" starboard for the seat base and Seat back. I had no issues using my harbor junk stapler and SS staples.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

scarab29

ok , when I first ran into this exact problem i was re doing a hurricane deck boat. The backers were made of black abs plastic and about 1/4 inch thick. I needed real short staples but tried my 1/2 in 1/2 deep staples and got the same as you, just a crushed head. I got that gun and some 3/8 #71 staples and some 1/4 71 staples and they shoot through the very dense abs plastic no problem. This plastic , the abs is denser than starboard.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.