Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:22:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hobbies / Passions Anyone ??

Started by Mojo, September 18, 2014, 06:17:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 24, 2014, 08:16:09 am

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

LOL, that'll leave a mark for sure!    : )

Darren Henry

I haven't done anything in years. Too busy---too broke---boring by yourself---blah blah blah. The weather here (after a terrible summer) is unreal !!! high 70's/low 80's since noon Saturday and sunny. Motorhome is now plated so went camping this past weekend.

I got tied up with a few errands Thursday so was hurrying to get ready and away Friday night. Half way home from work I remembered my tackle box was in the shed I borrow at work. [shrug] stroke fishing. Busy enough giving myself a lecture that I overshot my hunting license issuer (5 block back track), so now running late. Over filled the fresh water tank (as much water in the compartment as the tank ---need to re route vent hose) trying to get just one more thing done as it filled. Finally got to the lake at 10-ish. Apparently it had rained up there. I tried unsuccessfully to drive downhill onto a couple of 2X8 blocks to level the unit---they just slid around, so I opted to just make a 90 deg. left turn in between some poplars once I heard the "neighbours" grumbling to be level enough till morning. There was 8" of a 10" spike in the one tree I was sneaking around so I opened up a foot long gash in the side of 'er---special!!I could not get the water heater to light,got cross and went to bed. The ensuing rain let up around 11 so I  moved her over and tried lighting the heater again to no success----Apparently, the water I saw coming out of the belly of the unit was not just the extra in the compartment (stop cock with broken handle in wrong position) and water heaters will light them selves if you have your headphones on sitting on the other side of the unit enjoying the view. Mine has a habit of occasionally popping the pressure relieve valve. I went for a short drive (gas gauge had flaked out) for potable water,upland game, and a visit with Mom's cousin in the area. The chap that gave me the jug of really bad well water mentioned that there were very few birds and that Betty and Jerry were at a wedding out of town.

I was a little bitter Sunday,hung over Monday----AND I'M GOING SOUTH OF TOWN THIS WEEKEND!!!--- If my chores are done and I can afford it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

I like boating and fishing, but still, in spite of my everyday activities, enjoy sewing.  The creative outlet is very satisfying.  Other than that, I love gardening.  I'm currently into hybrid hibiscus.  They're high-maintenance compared to garden variety hibiscus, but gorgeous when they're happy. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

September 25, 2014, 01:55:40 am #18 Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:00:26 am by Grebo
I like to get out & play on the motorbike.
Passion, mountain hiking in the summer when we can get away to cooler climes. Sailing given the chance, which is pretty rare these days.

Hobbies, trying to grow my own vegetables it's a bit of a challenge with the summer heat & the strong winds we get here.
Like June I do actually like sewing but enjoy doing anything other than paid work, little bits & bobs so I don't get bored :-)  Love playing with the embroidery machine but it's soooo time consuming.
Just dusted off the pushbike so that might be a new one as the weather cools off.

Suzi

cthomps

I love to quilt.  I also spin wool, weave, and knit.  I also really enjoy camping if I can snag some time away.  If cocktails are considered a hobby, I like them as well.  :)
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Bob T

September 28, 2014, 07:23:51 am #20 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:39:37 pm by Bob T
My hobby in windsurfing.  I've been actively doing it since 1991 and average getting out about 80 days a year.  I'm a retired architect, and I repair windsurfing sails and kiteboard kites  to raise a few dollars to keep myself in good equipment.  When weather doesn't support windsurfing (light winds or too cold) my wife and I travel with our travel trailer, sometimes being out as much as a month at a time.  We were in Washington DC visiting the Smithsonian's on 9/11.  We got to be BBQ judges in Las Vegas for the World BBQ Cookoff Championship in 2004.  We pulled the trailer over to New Orleans and volunteered to help cleanup the schools for the return of kids after Katrina.  We've been to many festivals including the Wine festivals in Sonoma/Napa Valley, the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque, the Indian Market Days Festival in Santa Fe, and the Air Races in Reno.  We're going to keep going 'til our knees give out.

Mojo

Very cool to see that we have a couple RV'ers here. Bob, that is something I would enjoy doing, traveling in the coach and doing missionary work around the USA.

Chris

BlueFlamingo

Uhmmm, my hobby IS upholstery work!!!! ;)

gene

October 05, 2014, 08:40:39 am #23 Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:47:02 am by gene
Bob T,

I read a book about 10 years ago. I think it was written in the early 90's. It started with a guy telling about how he windsurfed across Tampa Bay during hurricane type winds. He then made a list of 10 or so extreme sports that he spend the next decade or so actually doing. And he wrote a book about it. Deep skin diving (really deep with nitro tanks and such), the Kamikaze bike race in California where you ride a bike in the summer down a black diamond sky run, an ultra distance run, etc. This was his bucket list before anyone knew what a bucket list was.

I tried to find the book in my house and then online, but to no avail. I can't remember the name of the book or the name of the guy who wrote it. Any chance that you once windsurfed across Tampa bay during hurricane type winds?

I'd love to find that book to read again.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Bob T

Hi Gene,  Sorry, but I've not heard of the book, but I like the guy's focus.  I have to admit I'm an adrenaline junkie when it comes to windsurfing.  I love it when it blows!  With winds in the upper 30's with gusts to 50, I seem to come into my own element.  At 66 years old, I have to reign in my passions because to takes too long to heal!

Mike

October 10, 2014, 05:37:43 am #25 Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:38:51 am by Mike
Seems my ship shape thread dissapeered odd.
Well my yeal hobby has been working restoring boats. So tomorow im headed over to juliter to look at a boat   Then i will have more  projects.

gene

Quoteadrenaline junkie

Two years ago we were in the UP of Michigan, on Lake Superior. We had walked out onto a long concrete pier to watch the sun set and to watch a storm making it's way toward us.

A US Coast Guard ship came out of a harbor into the open Lake Superior. It bounced around in massive waves and wind for 10 minutes, then headed back into the harbor. We were starting to wonder about our safety standing on this massive concrete pier.

A young man was out in the water on a surf board. Absolutely nuts! Several times I thought the wind took him out to sea, but then he would come 'flying' back toward shore. He ended his fun just as the sun was setting. My knees were aching and my back was straining just watching him. Pretty awesome!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteWe were starting to wonder about our safety standing on this massive concrete pier

Lake Supe. can get nasty. Ask the crew of the Edmond Fitzgerald.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

must be new here I had a post sure it was off topic but its just gone never before had ken deleted threads

JuneC

I saw that thread Mike - you titled it "for the boaters" or something like that.  And I see it's gone.  ???  It wasn't really off-topic - it was about your flip-down t-top extension (which I think is really kool, especially on those CC's with teeny little t-tops).

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields