Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:30:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hobbies / Passions Anyone ??

Started by Mojo, September 18, 2014, 06:17:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was wondering ( and curious ), do any of you have any hobbies outside of your businesses ?

Here is one of mine:

http://s181.photobucket.com/user/throgmartin/media/Misc/Drums_zpsca45f86a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s181.photobucket.com/user/throgmartin/media/Misc/Instruments_zps58711428.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I have been a musician since age 8 and my wife and I still play. The photos are of our home studio. I play guitar, drums, blues harp and bass. My wife is multi talented and plays the fiddle, guitar, sax, clarinet, piano, bass and mandolin.

What are your hobbies / passions ?

Chris

Mike

September 18, 2014, 09:01:51 pm #1 Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:05:24 pm by Mike
you know i played trumpet all through school o wanted a band like tower of power
i like fishing if i had more time  in my seacraft

this was my first post stroke fishing trip

but mostly i enjoy working im proving boat i just bought and ended up selling 2 seadoo b4 that a Larson flyer

SteveA

That's quite a Studio Chris! You could earn playing at affairs on the weekends - you probably do !
Are you a blues musician ?
I'm boring - my hobby is my woodworking which is my job - so a warped sense of passion.
The rest of my time is keeping up with home chores but a beer makes that tolerable -

Mike - I wouldn't mind tagging along come this January -
SA

kodydog

Nice set up Chris. My wife could spend hours in that room. She has a Guild Classic guitar she plays whenever she gets a chance. My hobby is camping and kayak fishing. Caught a nice red fish Labor Day at Favor-Dykes state park.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

LOL, I played violin through 10th grade.  Got tired of lugging that thing around.

Love listening to rock/blues based tunes.   My main hobby is quilting but that often times get preempted by whatever job I'm behind on.  I also love to sew doll's clothing.  My mother told me shortly before she died that she absolutely hated sewing doll clothes for my collection because of the 1/4" seams.  Since quilting also uses 1/4" seams, I don't mind the seams at all and just love creating pretty much any size of doll clothes.

Virginia

Mojo

The first time I ever performed on stage was when I was 8. I did a set with my brothers 1960's band playing drums. A couple years later I switched to guitar and played 60's rock and then country. I started playing blues harp in the 70's and then joined a blues band playing guitar, harp and singing. My last time on stage was in 1986 where I was called up to play harp with a Detroit blues band. That was awesome as they were a well known Mid West blues band.

I play blues, country and rock now and every now and then play bluegrass or jazz and accompany my wife when she plays her fiddle. My wife loves playing jazz fiddle and I love this type of music.

My passion is playing but my hobby is collecting guitars and instruments. It gets expensive when you have a wife who is multi talented and can play so many different instruments.

I just started something a month ago. I put a guitar hanger on the wall of my shop and have a guitar hanging there. I will hear a certain song on the stereo and will stop, grab the guitar and take a break and play. I figured I had to have some kind of fun in my shop and music is ALWAYS playing in the shop and house. :)

Chris

Mike

Quote from: kodydog on September 19, 2014, 04:34:38 am
Nice set up Chris. My wife could spend hours in that room. She has a Guild Classic guitar she plays whenever she gets a chance. My hobby is camping and kayak fishing. Caught a nice red fish Labor Day at Favor-Dykes state park.

ive never    but I would like to get a good kyayak if they wernt so expensive , Kathy on here is into it and with being on a canal it be fun to try fishing along the mangroves

cajunpedaler

I ride bicycles..I build bicycles, I build wheels.  I've ridden across, around, up or down about half the country.  The purpose of my big solo trip is that I will take my father's ashes to his boyhood home.  On a bike.  (I'll pack him good and dry).  I'll journal about the trip from his perspective...we are Hill Country Texans, so there is that humor...
My husband and I got married on a bike trip in Florida.

We ride recumbents (because they're comfortable) however I've gotten back in to the diamond frames more lately.

We are on what's called the Southern Tier, and host touring cyclists...I have between one and three hundred guests a year...Great conversations, and they are all great people.

Perry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

Mojo

Perry:

That is very cool. The Suncoast trail which runs right next to the Suncoast parkway is a paved bike trail that runs ( I believe ) for 45 miles. It is about 200 ft from my front yard. We keep a path from the street to the trail mowed for the bikers, walkers and joggers. The trail gets real busy on weekends.

I see your bicyclists all the time down here. That is very cool opening your home to tour riders like that. :)

Chris

gene

Wilderness canoeing. It's the only hobby/passion that I have consistently done throughout my adult life. I took my son out for his first time when he was 9. I've been out more times by myself than with my son or a friend.

I think it would be awesome if I were out on a trip by myself at a very advanced age, maybe 98, and I layed down one afternoon at my camp site to take a nap, and the good Lord took my soul away, and my body fed the bears, wolves, and other sundry creatures of the woods. I think that would trump dying in a nursing home.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: gene on September 21, 2014, 07:28:54 am
I think it would be awesome if I were out on a trip by myself at a very advanced age, maybe 98, and I layed down one afternoon at my camp site to take a nap, and the good Lord took my soul away, and my body fed the bears, wolves, and other sundry creatures of the woods. I think that would trump dying in a nursing home.

gene

My MIL is currently in a nursing home.  My mother passed in the same nursing home.  I hate that place and I try very hard not to hate but I can't help myself.  Nothing against the nursing home.  They do their jobs.  But most people are there to die and they know it.  Probably half of the residents have NO family that visits them.  That just tears me up.  Bob & I joke around with all of the residents.  I keep a small sack of candy in my purse for the nights that we visit.  There are about 6 older ladies that come zipping up in their wheel chairs as they know Bob will have a couple of pieces of candy for them.  A very small thing to do but it appears to make their day.  That and that we stop to visit and I always take their hand while we talk so they get some human contact.  They are all very cool ladies but with no visitors.  So that is why I hate that place.  Those people make me so sad.

So, I am with you Gene.  That sounds like a great way to die.  I hope that I am at my sewing machine as that is when I am happiest.

Back to happier things and favorite pass times.

byhammerandhand

My passion is woodworking.   Been doing it since I was a kid and quite seriously since the early '80s when I finally settled down to a house.  It's the reason I left software engineering to get into furniture repair work.   Also due to my upbringing, I enjoy gardening (I always say that I grew up on the business end of a hoe).

We got a travel trailer last year after an absence since the mid-'90s.   We've only been out a couple of times this year due to schedule but we are planning a couple of fall camping trips.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

timtheboatguy

Being in denial about my age I like to roller blade, climb things and compete in mud races.

http://youtu.be/cw882wmZnrg
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

scottymc

Surfing is my passion, been doing it for 46 years. In my younger years I lost countless jobs and girlfriend because I had to choose between them and surfing, basically I'm a stick dog and could possibly be more of a mental health issue than a passion. :)

S'pose my caravan could be called a passion now, mainly cause it is a big part of going on a surf trip.

byhammerandhand

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

Quote from: scottymc on September 23, 2014, 01:39:01 pm
Surfing is my passion, been doing it for 46 years. In my younger years I lost countless jobs and girlfriend because I had to choose between them and surfing, basically I'm a stick dog and could possibly be more of a mental health issue than a passion. :)

S'pose my caravan could be called a passion now, mainly cause it is a big part of going on a surf trip.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison