Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:39:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer Industrial Machine 211G166

Started by Kathy0701, July 03, 2012, 12:44:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

My 74 year old neighbor showed me how to get into a "sit inside" kayak. He was a bit over weight and the process is awkward but he managed. My kayak is built for white water (never been) so everything is very tight.

Here's how he did it. With the bow still on shore and the stern in the water he would straddle the kayak. Feet must get wet. Don't know if I could do it in 48* water. But anyway he would sit on top of the kayak right behind the hole. Feet still in the water touching the bottom, place hands on each side of the gunnel to steady himself. Carefully put one foot in at a time and then shimmy his seat into the seat.

Now that your safely in you will realize you left you paddle on shore. :o
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I'm confused. Which end of the kayak do you put the Singer 211G166 to keep it from tipping over?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

July 07, 2012, 11:29:23 am #17 Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:30:47 am by gene
Oh yea. Like sofadoc NEVER gets off topic. LOL I think he usually starts off topic. LOL

I've only done the big flat bottom kayaks around J R Darling Nature Preserve on Sanibel Island. My son, when he was little, caught a fish that jumped out of the water and landed in his boat. It almost scared the key lime pie out of him.

I bet bobbin knows that 'kayak' is a palindrome. And no, sofadoc, Palindrome was not the name of Paladin's horse (Have gun will travel).

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Everybody knows that Paladin's horse was named "Rafter".
BWE! IMO

I thought a pallindrome was that gadget on top of your piano.

Nothing goes better with kayaking than a Singer sewing machine, and Key Lime pie!

Quote from: gene on July 07, 2012, 11:29:23 am
Oh yea. Like sofadoc NEVER gets off topic. LOL I think he usually starts off topic. LOL
I'll have you know that I represent that remark very much!! :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

For all you "crafty people":

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120707/LIFE08/307070006/Sewing-surge-inspires-new-Singer-machine?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

I used to work for a guy from Australia.  He told me that the company "Brother" that makes sewing machines, copiers, printers, etc. got its name because the Japanese mistranslated "Singer" as "Sister."   (?!?)

Never odd or even
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

July 07, 2012, 07:02:06 pm #20 Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:20:52 pm by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on July 07, 2012, 09:49:24 am
I'm confused. Which end of the kayak do you put the Singer 211G166 to keep it from tipping over?

Never used my singer while kayaking. I don't have a long enough extension cord. But I have threatened to use it as an anchor a time or two. Ya know, when the fish are biting and I have to get a job out by 5 o'clock.  :(

Sofa, every time I go out I worry about those naugs you once mentioned under the Golden Gate. Scary.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

zanepurcell

So Kathy with a K,

did your friend ever get the machine? if she is single and needs a tutor, please advise.

In other news, I made a cushion that snaps in to a Kayak for my mother a few weeks ago. I think it is an untapped market. Also, the fat/elderly kayak mount should be patented. I always wondered how they did it. Ive kayak on occasion but dont like to get wet. This is where yoga comes in. It takes balance to get in and out from a dock and stay dry.

Zane

Kathy0701

Zane,

Nope, she didn't get it.  Thank you for your offer, though!  ;)  I'm sure she'd have appreciated it!  If I'd have needed another one, I'd have bought it myself...

I think you're right about the untapped market for kayak accessories....all three of my sisters need back support in theirs.  I'm going to be working on something for them as well.

We were talking about boomers getting older and wanting to be active...you're right in that getting in and out of these things takes a bit of balance!  I've seen a couple devices that are made for that purpose, but don't really like any of them.  I've got my own way of getting in and out that works like a champ, but it'd be just as well that nobody ever have to witness that sort of spectacle!  LOL!

Other things I think would be nice are bags shaped to fit up under the bow (out of the way of your legs), different types of tethers (haven't lost anything yet, but it's only a matter of time), but I do think many of the kayaks are sorely lacking in seat comfort, and a person couldn't paddle around for long once their back starts hurting.

And kody, I think you might be on to something...maybe instead of launching my machine out of my kayak as an anchor, I should just put it in there before getting in....with that kind of ballast, it'd never tip again!

Mojo

Quote from: Kathy0701 on July 15, 2012, 09:54:36 am
  I've got my own way of getting in and out that works like a champ, but it'd be just as well that nobody ever have to witness that sort of spectacle!  LOL!

I guess posting a video of this is out of the question ???

8)

Chris