Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 11, 2024, 10:42:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer Industrial Machine 211G166

Started by Kathy0701, July 03, 2012, 12:44:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy0701

Hi,

Someone I know is looking to buy a Singer Industrial on Craigslist.  It is model 211G166, reverse, safety clutch, welt foot, zipper foot, parts/service manual, table, light, etc.  I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this machine and, if so, if it's been reliable.

Many thanks!

Kathy

Kathy0701

Oh yes, walking foot...silly me.  Seems to have everything, just wondering what anyone thinks about it... :D

Kathy0701

Oh, I should mention this gal is a college student that is looking to get her first industrial machine.  She has a little experience - she just did a whole school bus full of seats!  I saw this one on Craigslist and showed the ad to her, but she wanted to know my take.  The machine is far away and I've always used my Consew.

From what I found on Google, it seems like a decent machine. 

Thanks again! :)

zanepurcell

I dont know what your friend wants to do exactly, assuming upholstery, if the price is reasonable, it is a machine that is current enough to do what you want and old enough to be tried and true. The max is 5 stitches per inch, it reverses and it is fast... I dont know how this particular one is geared, but she will probably want to slow it down or learn how to slip the clutch. This machine is a self oiler. A lot of folks make a living with this machine
Zane

Jan D

I have a Singer 211G166, I've had mine for quite a few years and it does a great job, I do auto upholstery, and have three machines, a Juki, Consew, and the singer 211...I really can find fault with any of them, the only thing I have done to my Juki was put a smaller pully on it because it was sewing way too fast, but their all good machines.

Kathy0701

Thank you for your input - I know she'll appreciate it, too.  If anyone else has anything, still post it, please...I'll check back!  Have a safe and Happy Fourth!

kodydog

July 04, 2012, 06:45:44 pm #6 Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:49:50 pm by kodydog
Hi Kathy. I'm not familiar with that machine but most industrial Singers are good. We have the 111W154. Double walking foot but no reverse. It may be over 75 years old. We've had it about 25 years and have had little trouble with it. It'll easily sew multiple layers of upholstery weight fabric, vinyl and leather.

If your friend is buying a used machine make sure she tests it first. Check for smooth operation, no unusual noises and check the stitch when sewing several layers of fabric or leather. Best to bring your own fabric and thread as some sellers have none.

Love your profile picture. Where was it taken (if I can be so bold to ask) :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Kathy0701

Thanks, kodydog! 

My profile pic was taken in northern Wisconsin....there is nothing like it in summer.  We kayak several times a week and almost every weekend.  We see eagles quite often!  Last weekend we saw 5 or 6 huge northerns (northern pike) sitting quietly in the bottom of the water...you can find extremely quiet places to paddle if you know where to go :)

My sisters and I all decided we don't want to get old yet and got kayaks this spring.  It's been a hoot!  We have a women's only kayak camping weekend planned for the end of July...that ought to be interesting because some of us try to bring too much stuff!  You really can't bring much along on a kayak...and there is only water access to the site. Haha!

Unfortunately, as nice as it is here in summer, it is exactly the opposite in winter...

kodydog

July 05, 2012, 05:33:28 pm #8 Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:35:38 pm by kodydog
Kathy, I envy you. And some day I will get up to your neck of the woods.

I went kayaking 4 weeks ago here in mid Florida and baked in 98* heat.  If you and you friends ever need a winter retreat try Ft Desoto Park/campground at the southern end of Pinellas County Fl. The campground is surrounded by a kayak/canoe only bay and the weather is perfect that time of year.

This is the back of our campsite.

Kathy0701

Thanks for the heads up!  We actually DO go to Pinellas County every winter, so we'll definitely check this place out!  We hang out up in Crystal Beach for about 10 days (I know, not nearly long enough) when we just can't take winter anymore.  Crystal Beach is up in the northern part of the county, I guess...a few miles south of Tarpon Springs.  I love that whole area of Florida!

Mojo

I live between Tarpon and Crystal River in Brooksville. All I ask is that you behave yourself when in my area. :)

Never been Kayaking before mainly because I swim as well as a brick thrown over board. Give me a boat that I wont fall over in anytime. The Kayaks do look like fun though.

Chris

kodydog

July 06, 2012, 06:18:24 pm #11 Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:25:09 pm by kodydog
Chris that's what life preservers are for, Ha Ha. ;)

But seriously talk about a stress breaker, just you, your paddle and the water, no worries mate. Quiet and serene.

The modern kayaks are rather hard to tip. The only time I've tipped mine was right after I bought it. And that was just to see how easy it was to get out. If you ever want to go let me know, rentals are cheep and I'm always looking for a paddle buddy.

http://www.santaferiver.com/

How about a full moon trip?

Mojo

I have always wanted to try kayaking and I have a couple buddies who are kayaker's. They told me I was welcomed to come with them but I had to understand that they were not going to jump in to save me if I tipped over. ( they know my history ). :)

I love being on the water. Love boats and love to fish but I have a fear of water. I nearly drowned when I was 14 years old and would have but my brother and cousin saved me. I got disoriented in a lake while under water and swam to the bottom instead of the top. When I hit bottom I panicked and it turned the water into a black murky curtain. Somehow I made it to the surface and they were there and grabbed me and pulled me onto a raft.

I started getting over my fear as an adult and damn if I didn't get caught in a rip while swimming near Port St Lucie. Thankfully I made it out by crossing the water rather then heading straight towards the beach. When I got to the beach I collapsed I was so frigging tired. A month later I got stung by a man o war in the same area. I have hated swimming in lakes / oceans since and have not been back in either. I think God is trying to tell me something. " Stay on a boat or stay away from water ". :)

Chris

gene

July 07, 2012, 06:58:54 am #13 Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:01:25 am by gene
I love wilderness canoeing. I took a friend once and I told him that if he died out there he would be bear poop within 2 days. I was not going to drag his body back to the outfitters. (He still went with me.) LOL

I've had a few times that were close calls. That 'red hot' knife pain stabbing down through my head. I was told that that's what happens when the brain is running out of oxygen. You feel that stabbing pain, you black out, you suck in, and that is how your lungs get filled with water.

I believe alcohol affects the brain in such a way that a person does the 'sucking in' almost immediately, or much sooner than normal.

How many people are drinking, fall off a boat, and they never surface?

It only takes 1 cup of water to drown. I have no fear of an ocean, lake, river, bath tub. It's only that 1 cup that I worry about.

"baby blow bubbles",

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Kathy0701

I also have a "very healthy respect" (others would say fear) of water.  I typically won't go anywhere I couldn't swim.  I'm kind of new to the whole kayak thing - just started this spring, and a little too early for these parts. 

On April 1, I went for my maiden voyage, only I never really go to.  I'd watched this athletic young man on youtube show me how to enter and exit my kayak.  It looked so easy! 

I put one foot in the boat, but before I could get the second one in, went head over teapot right into the 48* water!  Oh, that was cold!!  Good thing I'd done the Polar Bear some years back.

The second time I went out, I did almost the same thing, only trying to get out...this time it was May and my only problem is that I rather severely bruised my backside when I landed on a big, pointy rock.  Owwwww, that bruise lasted for weeks!

Now I have it figured out, and once I'm in, it's not tippy.  Not too graceful, but I just straddle the dang thing and sit down.  Reverse for getting out.  Works every time, although I don't think I'd want to be a bystander to this foolishness.

Most of the places I go I can see the bottom, or know it's not too far away  ;)  There are whitewater rivers and Lake Michigan nearby, but no thanks!  The calmer the better for me!

And yes, Chris, when we're in your neighborhood, we'll try to behave!  Behaving isn't really isn't my biggest problem, but being quiet is!!  I know kayaking is a quiet sport, so I have to remind myself of that, often!  I'm working on that.  You never see or hear anything when you're talking!  LOL!