Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:56:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

They've done it again

Started by Mike8560, July 06, 2011, 03:37:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

I has a r top and mooring cover jop the guy said can I have for  July when he  gets back  I said sure
so he called about weeks and said he would be here for a few days and if I could get to the top that would be great.   Sobi work that Saturday and getvthectop on  I emailed him as I was contacted and asked if hecused it no reply.  So last week he called and said he was here (early) I said ok   I'll be over Monday last Monday and pattern it he told me hevea leaving wensday.
I asked well I'll try but can I get paid if he's gone? Oh ya sure
so I finnishedcinstalling it Friday.
I emailed him finnished photos  and called h no reply and no awnser.  Ok it's the 4th weekend. So  finnaly he did reply and said he would be home Tuesday. Ibrepleyed asking home here to Florida.  No reply.
I called yeteday at lunch and he awsnered. But was driving. And would be home  to his northern home in a  while he said he call when he got there.
No call no email no awnser to my calls today even
arrrrhhh
makes ne want to quit

ragtacker

Mike8560

Ya I've had guys say let me just pay for it now like 300
bucks. Then when your done it rakes all the fun out of it  with no payday
I just wish my customers would stay In one place you just can't say  do it now and then leave.  Cell phone  right on your side and you can't awnser

gene

I have similar thoughts.

Why put new fabric on an old Wal Mart cushion insert when you can buy a new Wal  Mart cushion cover that has a new insert in it?

I went to SCORE when I started my company. One thing that they preached about the most was do not compete on price. As a small company, you cannot do the volume needed to make a living. And, the big companies will always be better able to beat your prices. You will not succeed, they said.

Best of luck on your new business. Folks who have a right mind, a right attitude, a desire to learn, and the ability to spend a lot of hours in the shop seem to have a lot of luck.

I saw an interview of a guy in NT city. He's 72 and he has repaired stringed musical instruments all his adult life. He said he appreciates the money that he makes, but he will keep working as long as there is something new to learn. What an attitude, huh?

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

kodydog

July 06, 2011, 07:06:33 pm #5 Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:10:17 pm by kodydog
Somehow Genes "Greenroom" reply ended up in this thread. Weird!

Mike I do work for a designer who tells me, when a customer pisses her off, she fires them.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Grebo

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 06, 2011, 05:01:41 pm
Ya I've had guys say let me just pay for it now like 300
bucks. Then when your done it rakes all the fun out of it  with no payday
I just wish my customers would stay In one place you just can't say  do it now and then leave.  Cell phone  right on your side and you can't awnser

Yeh, feels like you did it for nothing  :(  . Even though you already been paid.

Suzi

regalman190

Mike...if you accept credit cards, maybe you can run it in the beginning of the job and tell them you'll run the final when you're finished. Before you install, run the card. If it goes through, now you have your money. If it doesn't, you don't install.

Also, one thing I started doing is putting a line item on my estimates and invoices stating that the product is my property until paid in full and I retain the right to remove the product if not paid.

Regal Canvas

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

GTM...Get the Money.

Half up front, half at delvery, completeion for custom work.

Going on good faith always will always will always get you burnt. 

Hell Bat

"customer pisses her off, she fires them.'
That hit me so funny ROFLMAO :P
Thanks for that one 8)

kodydog

July 07, 2011, 09:45:16 am #10 Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:51:18 am by kodydog
Quote from: Hell Bat on July 07, 2011, 07:55:21 am
"customer pisses her off, she fires them.'
That hit me so funny ROFLMAO :P
Thanks for that one 8)

Yep Hell Bat. The neat thing is she and her customers are the absolute best people to work with.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on July 07, 2011, 07:45:32 am
GTM...Get the Money.

Half up front, half at delvery, completeion for custom work.

Going on good faith always will always will always get you burnt. 
Ya I vet s deposite.  The problem arises when I'm done and theve gone north

byhammerandhand

I believe most states have a "dry cleaner's law," that goes something like this:
Any garment, clothing, wearing apparel or household goods remaining in the possession of a person, firm, partnership or corporation, on which laundering, cleaning, pressing, glazing or dyeing has been done or upon which alteration or repairs have been made, or on which materials or supplies have been used or furnished, for a period of 6 months or more, may be sold to pay the reasonable or agreed charges and the cost of notifying the owner, after giving notice of said sale...

All persons, firms, partnerships or corporations taking advantage of this section must keep posted in a prominent place in their receiving office or offices at all times 2 notices which shall read as follows: "All articles cleaned, pressed, glazed, laundered, washed, altered or repaired and not called for in 6 months will be sold to pay charges". "All articles stored by agreement and charges not having been paid for 18 months will be sold to pay charges".

---
One of my clients has the following on all invoices:
You will have five days to pick up merchandise.  After 5 days, there will be a $5 per day / per box fee.

Gene always says, "I'm not in the trucking business."   You have to decide if you are in the warehousing and loan business.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Yeah, you're well within your rights to sell items that haven't been picked up. You also have the right to charge a storage fee. BUT, that doesn't prevent the customer from telling EVERYONE in town what a low-down snake in the grass you are. And they ONLY seem to tell THEIR candy-coated version that makes them look like a perfect angel.
I sold a couch that a customer had left at my shop for 3 years after completion. Numerous phone calls were to no avail. When she finally came for it, and found out that I'd sold it, she literally ran out into the street, and began screaming at the top of her lungs that I was a thief. Her family members cussed me out over the phone for months after that.
I'm sure that to this very day, she tells anyone who will listen that I stole her sofa, sold it, and kept the money.
I knew a man in my town who had cheated several investors out of their money. When one of them confronted him demanding his money back, he showed him an "iron-clad" contract that completely absolved him of any liability.
He said "You see, there is NOTHING you can do about it"
The cheated man said "Oh yes, there is!"
He pulled out a pistol, and shot him between the eyes.
I'm saying that just because you have the legal right to sell unclaimed merchandise, you first have to consider the person you're dealing with.
You'd be surprised at how angry a person can get over a couch, or a boat cover.
Legal mumbo-jumbo is only effective when you're dealing with sane, rational people.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

The boss once had a deadbeat customer who wouldn't pay. He got so fed up as he drove past the marina on the way to visit family out of town he stopped and took off the unpaid for top then continued on his way. A few hundered klicks down the road a cop pulls him over. Boss thinks it's for speeding, turns out it's for theft. Of the boat top. Turns out the deadbeat was a judge. Couldn't sign a check but could sign a warrant. Had to go to the cop shop and get the judge on the phone to avoid the slammer.

He's been hesitant to do anything too rash ever since. 
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠