Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 04:59:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Binding ..how to

Started by morrisman, November 28, 2016, 12:54:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

morrisman

Hi to all

Not much of a Spring here..very wet .

Ive been making a truck top for my Land Rover ... it fits over the cab only

The sewing of the 1" cotton edge binding has caused me problems.  I cannot get the seam straight , the sewing wanders and I get an uneven binding edge -

Are the swing away binding guides worth a try ?  I did have a non swing one but it is so fiddly and I could not get it to work all of the time

My machine is a consew 226r
Consew 226 R-2 still learning

Mojo

We use the swing away binders whenever binding. I only recommend the Suisie brand. They are made in Japan and while they cost a little more are well worth it. We have two of them. I have owned one for over a decade and it still works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-BRAID-SINGLE-FOLD-RAW-BIAS-TAPE-BINDER-Singer-20U-Sailrite-Consew-Brother-/390637832951?var=&hash=item5af3d44af7:m:mRh7VSNgbi31SAHmwy0U__A

If your having a problem with the binding coming out curvy then that is a hand / feed problem. In other words the fabric has to be parallel to the machine at all times. If the fabric in front of the machine moves a little right or left it kicks the fabric out at the binder, thus creating curves and uneven binding on the finished job. It will also cause the stitching to miss the fabric.

Take your time and concentrate on smoothly feeding the fabric through on a straight line.

If this binding is going to be exposed to outside weather I urge you to consider acrylic binding. It will last a decade or more. Cotton binding....Not so much.

Chris 

Darren Henry

I'll trade you weather.We're sitting around the freezing mark with a mix of rain/freezing rain/and our first snow of the year. Things are quite slippery.

I like to use the 7/8" centre fold acrylic binding because it sews so easily without a folder.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 29, 2016, 04:30:54 am
I'll trade you weather.We're sitting around the freezing mark with a mix of rain/freezing rain/and our first snow of the year. Things are quite slippery.

I like to use the 7/8" centre fold acrylic binding because it sews so easily without a folder.

Heading up to 80 today. The Cannucks in our back yard are loving it. :)

We use all 1 inch binding. I think Rick and Mike sometimes use a smaller binding. I have never had good luck sewing the smaller binding. I seem to always end up with curvy binding and spots where the stitching missed the fabric. No idea how Rick or Mike do it as they sometime work with small binding.

Chris

RiCat

Chris...... what is really a bear is sewing 3/4" dbl fold without a binder..

Rick

Mojo

Rick:

Did I give you a roll of binding that was small ? I cannot remember if I did or not.

Seems like it was 3/4 inch but cannot remember.

Chris

RiCat

Chris - I got a roll of 3/4" last year from you (Dk Taupe) but it was a full roll you sold me at a very reasonable price. This was done when I picked up all of that left over acrylic and vinyl you had..

Rick

Mojo

OK. I could not remember. THat 3/4 stuff drove me around the bend. I hated it. :)

Chris

morrisman

December 01, 2016, 06:11:32 am #8 Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:23:56 am by morrisman
Ok thanks for the tips .

I use cotton binding because it looks more authentic , the old car is a 1950 model. Yes it won't last as long as acrylic binding but I will be gone before it rots away !  .

The rear panel of the Land Rover has brass gauze windows , its a fine brass mesh .

Darren Henry

knitting those up must have been tedious. [roll eyes]
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

morrisman

Me again

I was using this forum regularly , about ten years back. Some of the old names have dissapeared ! But I do remember Darren .

Getting back to the binding issue, I found this: Pretty expensive but it looks good !

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CONSEW-225-226-6-PC-RIGHT-ANGLE-BINDER-SET-1-BINDING-1-2-FINISH-/300922918002?hash=item4610675472:g:5bQAAOxyrM5TIPPL

Are my picture attachments working ? My Land Rover top is just about finished , it came out looking nice ! I had borrowed a top and I measured it .

brmax

Yes links are working,
In looking at several binders you may see and find many require the feed dog and or needle plate to be changed for the usage. Some will require this no matter but something to ask around about.

Floyd

Darren Henry

I bought a cheap binder years ago. I think it is still embedded in the wall of my old shop. It's biggest fault was the size of the fold it made. It was "U" shaped like the one in the ad, but the "U" was so wide that one layer of sunbrella and one piece of poly webbing didn't fill it by half so the binding always looked scrunged up. It may have worked on thick carpet. If I ever buy another I would want it to be a "V" shape or at least a very narrow "u".

baileyuph

There is a difference in a binding attachment and a folder attachment.

The binder, for accuracy requires a right angle type that is machined for a specific binding.  It is not a universal attachment.  It cost considerably more than a folder, but is required for high accuracy work-- for example, carpet edging on vintage auto work.  That type of binding requirement cannot be met with a folder - swing away type of attachment.  Another binding requirement that cannot be met with a folder attachment is the auto sun visor edging.  A custom made (usually) binder is required and is much more expensive to set up than a folder.

Doyle

morrisman

Hi Doyle

Yes that makes sense .

I have been making some wood patterns from particle board. Each panel of the land Rover top is a easy shape but it's a slow job measuring each panel individually .With a wooden pattern,  I can now just run a stanley knife around the  pattern , quick and easy