Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:00:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Marine Carpeting Removal Issue

Started by baileyuph, March 05, 2011, 05:59:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

March 05, 2011, 05:59:06 am Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:10:40 am by DB
This is a general question as to what marine business people use to remove marine carpet, in a non pontoon boat?

In your business do you use a chemical to remove the glued carpet?

I plan to scrap, grind, or whatever, if there is not a cheap remover.

I read the post regarding pontoon boat, but this is carpet on fiberglass.

Thanks ahead,

Doyle

Peppy

I use my hands. Pull up the old stuff and hopefully it'll come away clean. Sometimes the pile pulls through the backing and stays stuck to the boat. Then a scraper or wire brush to remove any lumpy chunks. It doesn't have to be pristene the carpet hides a lot. I don't use any chemicals, well, aside from the glue.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

SHHR

Just like peppy says, grab it and yank (the carpet that is). I did a bass boat last week, part aluminum deck part fiberglass. Most of the aluminum had the carpet pull away fairly clean. I just wiped it down and glued the new down. The fiberglass left some of the nap on it but a sharp scraper took care of it quickly. Be carefull using adhesive removers or thinners on the carpet glue as it will soften the fiberglass resin.
Kyle