Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 06:20:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

vinyl top for older cadillac

Started by Uncle Lar, June 16, 2011, 04:12:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Lar

Hey everyone.  I've been doing auto upholstery full time for a year and a have,  and its time to cross a new bridge.  I have a potential customer with a 78 cadillac sedan deville, which needs a new vinyl top, which up to this point I have not done.  The vendor I get convertible tops from does not have an exact fit top for this car, just the universal ones, which probably isn't a big deal.  However, the car has a very light green vinyl top, a color that they don't have a similar match for.  I know that the vinyl for roofs has a harder surface than marine vinyl, but the thought has crossed my mind to use the marine, as the car is a family heirloom and won't see use other than occassional weekend driving.  In addition, I can get close in the color match department.  Still I question if this is a good move, in regard to general durability and holding up to sunlight.  Also, I would have to deal with the stretch of the vinyl and how that would play in laying the seams straight on the roof.  And, if I sew this together, will I need to somehow seal the seam?  Or should I try different vendors? Now, what are your thoughts?  Thank you!!!

mike802

I have done a lot of vinyl tops over the years, but I have never tried one using marine vinyl.  The replacement tops have a fuzzy backing that helps the glue grip the vinyl, also the replacement tops can pretty much stretch in any direction, which is important getting the vinyl to lay down wrinkle free on the sail panels.  As for color matching, are you trying to match the color on the visible surface, or have you removed some molding where the top was not subjected to direct sun?  The top underneath a molding will be closer the the original color than surface's exposed to the sun.  Even it you had the exact same vinyl and color, it would be different because of the dye lot changes.  If it was me, I would live with a little different color than try using marine vinyl, but others may chime in who have actually given this a try.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

phoenix

Call Kee Auto Tops...they can make any top,any dimension.they may even have the color.

Uncle Lar

Thanks for the responses.  I think I need to hold off for the right vinyl for the job.  I have used the vinyl that is tucked under the trim as reference for a close color, as  most of the top's color is really baked and oxidized.  I have contacted kee, and they are hopefully sending me samples of a couple somewhat close colors, at least by looking at their website.  I say hopefully because the colors are actually discontinued, but they were going to send samples if they had enough to make a top, or let me know if they didn't have enough.  Anyone know of other vendors who deal in vinyl tops?

Miami Mike

June 20, 2011, 11:41:21 am #4 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:45:32 am by Miami Mike
We make vinyl tops, just need the year make and modle . center or double seam. french seam around back windows too. Also we make for tops for the Limousines. the like is for the vinyl we stock>>> first few pages are the vinyl topping.

You will hace to copy the full link>> Sorry

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item search results&SearchSource=Pagination&SearchType=AND&forcePrice=False&forceAvailability=False&OrderByColumn=&OrderByDirection=&SearchKey=SK23617PM&CurrentPage=1
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna