Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 09:06:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need Advice on Binding

Started by Mojo, March 07, 2012, 06:42:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

On some of the awnings I make I have to create a valance. The cheaper ones are done with a scallop and zigzag stitched along the bottom. I personally do not like the look of them and many of my customers do not like them either. So I make my valance straight across and then bind the edges with 1 " acrylic binding.

I recently got an order for several window awnings and a huge patio awning for a motorcoach. The customer ordered a goofy colored tweed and I for the life of me cannot find an acrylic binding that comes close to matching the tweed colors.

My questions is should I fold the edge over and sew it ? I do not have a ZigZag machine so that's out of the question. What do you guys and gals do on these edges ? Have you ever folded and sewn the edge ?

Chris

Clearly

Perhaps you could use a complimentary or contrasting binding color and bind it the way you usually do. Just finished a couple scalloped awnings and had the same issue. I used a binding that was a darker shade that made the edge stand out a little more.

Regards, Carl

Mojo

Carl:

The color of this tweed fabric is so crazy that I cannot find even a contrasting color that will match. :)

I found one color that would work but they do not make it in an acrylic binding, only in a fabric.

Chris

Clearly

While I haven't done it, I can't think of any reason you couldn't just put a hem in it.

Carl

Grebo

March 07, 2012, 09:27:18 am #4 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:30:22 am by Grebo
I actually prefer a turned hem to binding, I find a lot of the time the binding shrinks or fades long before the canvas, so stays looking good for longer.
You don't need a zig zag for hemming  ??? Either cut the edge with the hot knife & turn once or turn twice if the edge is going to unravel.

But then I don't do awnings, mine is on marine stuff. Don't know if that makes a difference or not .

Suzi

fragged8

hiya

the advantage of a hem is it doesn't collect water and then go green,

one of my customers who is a boat builder won't let me use binding
on covers for him.

Rich

Mike

March 07, 2012, 12:46:49 pm #6 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:55:31 am by Mike
Chris whe ive fdone a CDs awnings  with a scolloped vallanece with i  charge more for due to the extraa work i like to highligh the scollop with a contrasting color its you cantr find a color thats close why not black? many time i see a canvas with just black binding  or white but white gets dirty  but if the cancas was paaacific blue of red i think white make a nice contrast in the right aplication.

bobbin

We routinely finish the lower edge of a straight valence with a neatly folded hem.  Depending on the depth of the valence we use a double 1"-2" hem. 

I think bias binding or the woven awning braid is the way to go when you're dealing with a shaped valence.  Most of the awning binding is 100% solution dyed acrylic, too, and it's manufactured to coordinate with the awning acrylics.  The beauty of the proper binding is that it will negotiate curves with ease (provided you have the correct binding set up!!) and while it will "fail" before the fabric it's easy to cut off and rebind (good money maker, BTW). 

Grebo

I had a nosy around an awning making factory some time ago & while they had real state of the art computer controlled machines to sew huge lengths together. They still do all the binding by hand with a normal zig zag machine & binder attachment.  ???

Suzi

Qwerty27807

Could you make your own bias binding using the crazy fabric and charge accordingly for the wasted material?

Mojo

I am meeting with the customer this weekend and am going to try and talk them into letting me do a simple hem. They make one contrasting color fabric that would work perfect but they do not make it in a binding. I do not have enough margin in this job to buy the folder and make the binding myself so will pass on that idea.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Chris

Grebo

Quote from: Qwerty27807 on March 08, 2012, 12:36:06 am
Could you make your own bias binding using the crazy fabric and charge accordingly for the wasted material?

I got one of those  ;D    Have you tried making binding up with sunbrella (or similar) with it ?
That's what I bought it for but haven't gotem round to tying it yet  :-[

Suzi

Mike

Wouldn't making a hem be next to impossible of any width on a curvedscolloped edge?

Mojo

I am sure it would Mike. I wouldn't want to try it. I use straight edges on all of my valances. My customers prefer them over the scallops.

Alot of the million dollar buses have straight edges. That is where I got the idea from. Some of the high end buses do not even have valances. :)

Chris

Mike

My mistake I though I read they wanted a scroll oped   alliance.
Kinda hokey to me